Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dysfunctional after 'upgrade'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

I've been diligent about not accepting MS 'invitation' to upgrade to Windows 10 fo almost a year. One day it just appeared. And my computer hasn't been the same. One laptop, it just can't figure out how to install the lastest update.

My main desktop is pretty much kaput. I've ended up screaming, "what is the !@#$ DOING?"

Now I can't open anything. I click on the Start button to reboot, it highlights and then nothing else. I try to open anything and the 'Operation has timed out'. I try some basic Windows settings and it now doesn't have a program associated with it.

I'm now wondering why does anyone put up with Microsoft anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,543 posts
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Well, if you haven't actually done the upgrade then you haven't actually done the upgrade.  I've heard of lots of complaints, the latest ones about the trickery of "red X meaning implicit consent" being legitimate, but nothing like yours.  I honestly doubt that this has anything to do at all with Windows 10 but more likely the state of the systems prior to upgrade.

However, if you have a system running Windows 7 or Windows 8 and wish to perform an "exorcism" of Windows 10 upgrade components already present and to block them, then download and install GWX Control Panel and, if you wish, Never 10.  The former will definitely wipe off any existing material, including the GWX invitation program if present, while the latter sets up some other barriers to installation but doesn't do a wipe and the two do not conflict with each other.

On your malfunctioning machines you had ought to open up a command prompt elevated to administrator status and run the following to identify various sorts of OS corruption and fix them:

SFC.exe /scannow                                             (on any recent version of Windows)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  (on a Windows 10 Machine)

Using something like Malwarebytes after those two wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

P.S.  All of the above can be done after having booted into Safe Mode, with networking if needed, if memory serves and I'd try booting into Safe Mode first, regardless of the version of Windows

Edited by britechguy, 09 June 2016 - 12:56 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users