Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Separating small office in two

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reyes99

reyes99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hi all,

I would like to separate a small office in two where office users have access to certain printers and Guest users have access to another printer. Current Setup is just a Wifi router connected to the internet.  No Server, No switch. 

I have been researching this but would like your opinions on what the best option would be.  Here is what I have so far:

1.  Subnetting, I don't think this option would be good because it is a small office & don't want to spend too much in setup & hardware. Will this work with home routers, or do we need to set up Cisco routers??

2.  Setup Print Server (WorkGroup PC), This could work but we have a few people using Apple laptops (not sure how they would work with windows authentications??

3.  JetDirect Cards -  I was reading they have ACL's and you are able to restrict access by IP range or individual IPs but How will I separate the IPs of the office workers from the Guest users.

4.  Turn on Guest wifi access - This won't work because Guest users will only have access to internet.  We need to grant them access to print.

5.  Using a VLAN - Not sure how to set this up, will I need two routers 1 for office users the other for Guest Users?

Thanks 

Ralph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

1. Depends on the router. I have never seen a user friendly method however. Do you have a IT department or ARE you the IT department?

2. Depends on the printer and how you set up the server. Should be Windows/OSX compatible.

3. Don't know anything about JetDirect. Will leave to others.

4. Again, depends on router. I have a RT-N66U and the guest network has configurable INTRAnet access. 

5. You would need two routers and a unmanaged switch, or 2 SMB routers capable of VLANs. This would be the most legitimate way IMO, but also the trickiest and more exspansive.

Questions:

1.What equipment do you have now?

2.Whats your general price point? Looking at consumer? SMB? Enterprise grade?

3. Do you get more then 1 IP from your ISP? If so, could go ISP > Switch > Router 1 + Router 2. Router 1 > Employee and work printer. Router 2 >Guests and guest printer. That would be the simplest way.

#3 reyes99

reyes99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,

I am the IT department, I have some networking experience but have never created a subnet and set that up.

1.What equipment do you have now? Apple Airport Extreme

2.Whats your general price point? Looking at consumer? SMB? Enterprise grade? Small Budget looking to user Consumer Equipment

3. Do you get more then 1 IP from your ISP? If so, could go ISP > Switch > Router 1 + Router 2. Router 1 > Employee and work printer. Router 2 >Guests and guest printer. That would be the simplest way. Yes we only get 1 IP from Comcast.  Will need to check with them now much a second IP would cost.

Thanks

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

1. Damn. Just about the most limited consumer router there is when it comes to customizing. No UPnP. No web access. No 3rd party firmware support. They are designed to be plug and play.

3. Do you have Comcast Business? I think they charge 20$/month for an extra static IP. I don't know if they sell secondary DHCP IP's though. 

#5 reyes99

reyes99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

ok, didn't know that about those routers.  I assume they have comcast business, I will find out.  I think that would be the easiest way to go so we can set up two separate networks.

Thanks again for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users