Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accounting Software Limiting Storage on Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thisisdoors

thisisdoors

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hey guys,

New to the site; thanks in advance for any help! I run a small business(5 work stations + a server). I should say, I've only recently began running this company, and the way the whole network is set up, and the accounting software in general is not my style, so I'm trying to get the network running smoothly, but i only have a limited knowledge base to work with.

We use Sage 50 Accounting Software, and store all data for the program on the server. Well, it's actually a PC that our old IT company pressed into a server type use. Ok, so recently we've been having problems with loading anything that's stored on the server. Sage Accounting is claiming that this is being caused by us storing too much data for their program to work properly, and that we need to buy their $1500/yr upgrade in order to use the amount of data we require. This made absolutely no sense to me.

First of all, our server is old, so we will be upgrading to an actual SERVER with far more storage, memory etc.... 

But, my question is this: are there programs out there that actually limit the amount of data that your hard drive can store? Or are there programs that actually operate slower when they detect a certain amount of data being stored? 

My instinct is that Sage is straight up lying, and that we need a server upgrade not new software... but I've seen some weird stuff so maybe they're not lying. 

Edited by thisisdoors, 09 June 2016 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

Well...my question would be...why are you using Sage software, as opposed to something like QuickBooks?  The only reason I ask that is that I always thought that Sage was oldline, big corporate entity in their clientele, while Quicken seems to have evolved as a flwxible, easy solution for small business entities that is quite popular today.

The server question...I don't think that even comes up if you use QuickBooks, since data is stored online (I think),

I only know of Sage because I was an accountant in one of my former lives :).

Louis

#3 thisisdoors

thisisdoors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

Well...my question would be...why are you using Sage software, as opposed to something like QuickBooks?  The only reason I ask that is that I always thought that Sage was oldline, big corporate entity in their clientele, while Quicken seems to have evolved as a flwxible, easy solution for small business entities that is quite popular today.

The server question...I don't think that even comes up if you use QuickBooks, since data is stored online (I think),

I only know of Sage because I was an accountant in one of my former lives :).

Louis

The office manager apparently used Quickbooks at her previous business, and was not a fan. We might just make the change regardless of that, however.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

Years ago, my dad's company moved from some kind of Basic-driven accounting package, which includes cake-holder-size info disks being inserted, and two twin 5150s, each with a total 1MB RAM, 20MG HD, TalGrass tape-cartridge backup over to MAS 90, a major block-buster accounting program.  What I cannot remember:  if the ever-increasing-in-size  accounting folders and files caused a problem similar to thread starter.  We did have to do an MAS-90 upgrade at least once if not more often.  [If I can locate the former network dude's company, I can ask if the Sage problem is common.]

Edited by RolandJS, 09 June 2016 - 12:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users