Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Repair Disc - Any Difference between Win 8.1 and Win10 Version?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

I am very soon going to upgrade my partner's laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  I have already taken a system image as of about an hour ago and File History will be run one more time immediately prior to the upgrade to capture any user files that might have been changed.

I have already created a Win10 (Home 64-bit) System Repair Disc and the system being upgraded is also 64-bit.  If disaster should strike I want to be able to recover using the system image.  However, if in this case a Windows 10 System Repair Disc would boot and let me simply run the restore from system image process I really have no need to burn another System Repair Disc.

I know that under Windows 7 the System Repair Disc was pretty much "a rose is a rose is a rose" kind of thing.  I could create one on any random Windows 7 system for use on any other random Windows 7 system if one were not already available.  I'm just wondering if it's basically the same sort of situation in relation to the System Repair Disc for Win8.1 and Windows 10, where either one could be used to do a system image restore.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

If you really want to know, I'd burn one of each and compare the byte count.  Personally I'd use something like Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup, and make the bootable disc for that to do the restore.  That's what I've done with Norton Ghost (through Windows 7) and Easeus Todo Backup with 8.1 and 10 for about the last 25 years.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

I'm currently trying to make an image for the use that you describe - but it's fighting me :0)

I'm using this post by FreeBooter:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616536/creating-a-windows-backup-image/

The system keeps losing contact with the USB drive.
It was plugged into the USB3 ports - so now I'm trying it in the USB2 ports.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

Do the Windows 8 and Windows 10 System Repair Disks include USB 3.0 drivers. I know that Macrium includes USB 3.0 drivers and also boots with Secure Boot enabled.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

John_C21,

I can't say anything about Windows 8 since I've never made a System Repair Disc or Recovery Disc (if such exists in Win8).  Windows 10 has two different discs, the Recovery Disc which can include all system files and requires a 32GB USB drive or a "bare bones" version of itself that takes 1GB.  There is also the System Repair Disc which is very likely the same thing as the bare bones Recovery Disc.

I'd have to imagine the full Recovery Disc that requires 32GB likely has USB 3.0 drivers as part of it.

One of the reasons I'm trying to stick with Windows Utilities is that they are supplied, free, with the OS and they are the most consistently accessible using screen readers.  This only really helps for the backup part, as the recovery takes place outside the OS having loaded, but that's still a big deal.  The new universal apps format is not consistently accessible via screen readers and some of it is completely inaccessible.  On the very rare occasion I've had to use a system image restore with Windows utilities (twice, maybe, in a very long time) they've worked fine.  It's not that I have anything against the third party products, some are great, but for my intended audience I really need to stick to stuff supplied with Windows.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I understand. I have used Window's System Image Creation/Restore in Windows 7 and it has never failed me. 

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

You may make copies of your files and folders, but ever is not need to make a copy of the system files, because you can always use Windows System Restore, if you have an Internet connection, or you have a Windows installation DVD or USB. All Your Windows files will replaced automatically with new ones and all Your old files will be stored on to system drive in folder Windows.old.

Sometimes even this is not needed, because Dism (Deployment Image Servicing and Management or simply DISM.exe) function can repair all what is needed.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

You may make copies of your files and folders, but ever is not need to make a copy of the system files, because you can always use Windows System Restore, if you have an Internet connection, or you have a Windows installation DVD or USB. All Your Windows files will replaced automatically with new ones and all Your old files will be stored on to system drive in folder Windows.old.

Sometimes even this is not needed, because Dism (Deployment Image Servicing and Management or simply DISM.exe) function can repair all what is needed.

I am well aware of this, but if speed is of the essence having the full Recovery Disc can increase the "let me get back up and running" time significantly.  I have to believe that this is why Microsoft introduced the "full" Recovery Disc under Windows 10 in addition to the "bare bones" version.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

Bear in mind that System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10.  Most people aren't aware that if you want to use it, you have to go to the System applet of the Control Panel to enable it.  And remember that if you can't boot, you can't use it in any case.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

Bear in mind that System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10.  Most people aren't aware that if you want to use it, you have to go to the System applet of the Control Panel to enable it.  And remember that if you can't boot, you can't use it in any case.

Niweg,

Thank you for that very timely reminder.   I performed the Windows 10 upgrade overnight on my partner's formerly Windows 8.1 machine and it went without a hitch.  This morning I did the quick initial setup with customized settings via the final part of the upgrade process then did my "Privacy Settings and Cortana Settings" sweep as soon as the desktop came into view.

I had forgotten entirely that System Restore is disabled by default on Windows 10, since I long ago reenabled it on my box.  His machine now has it reenabled as well.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

Just FYI - I work on 5 to 10 Windows 10 systems a day and have only found 1 that had System Restore disabled (a tablet with a 32gB storage drive).

We set System Restore points as a matter of course on all services that we finish.

That being said, they are primarily OEM systems.

I only recall one or two that were custom built.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users