Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Swapping Mac OS to Windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Davie702

Davie702

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Ok so I've recently acquired an apple pc (not sure of the exact model but can look if needed) the issue is that this pc came without a hard drive, and I tried 3 different hard drives in it before realising that a Windows hard drive won't boot on an apple pc, the only problem is I want to keep everything that are on the hard drives and probably end up running Windows on said pc (then eventually move to Linux). At the minute I literally just want it to run Skype to talk to family until I've built a new pc, then from there move it over to Linux to run as a very small server for storing files.

My question is, without a HDD running Mac OS, and other than changing all the hardware inside the pc, is there any way to run Windows on it? Or will I have to either install Mac OS on one of the hard drives, or completely change all the hardware? And then from there how would I best go about moving from Windows to Linux? I mean yeah, I could just keep it on Mac OS for Skyping and then move to Linux but because I'm familiar with Windows (and not apple's biggest fan) I don't wish to stick to Mac OS.

Apologies in advance if this is a really noob thing to ask but I'm not too familiar with operating systems that aren't Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

How to install Windows using Boot Camp

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Davie702

Davie702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply buddy but I can't do it via boot camp, I don't have a hdd with Mac OS on, therefore can't actually boot up the pc, I've got 3 spare hdd's but all with Windows pre-installed and until the 15th I have no way of wiping these hdd's for a fresh install of Mac OS

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the reply buddy but I can't do it via boot camp, I don't have a hdd with Mac OS on, therefore can't actually boot up the pc, I've got 3 spare hdd's but all with Windows pre-installed and until the 15th I have no way of wiping these hdd's for a fresh install of Mac OS

You'll need to install OS X before you can do anything with it. Call Apple to see if they can send you a copy of OS X to install or bring it in to an Apple store and have them do the install. If you want to keep the data on your HDDs, buy a new one for the Mac.

#5 Davie702

Davie702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

You'll need to install OS X before you can do anything with it. Call Apple to see if they can send you a copy of OS X to install or bring it in to an Apple store and have them do the install. If you want to keep the data on your HDDs, buy a new one for the Mac.

Oki doke bud that's great thanks, I've got a friend who part-owns a computer shop and will probably have a couple of old copies of a Mac OS, I'll grab a cheap HDD and a copy from him, where do I go from there, do I have to install boot camp or does it come on the OS? Also, which would be the best version of Mac OS incase I decide to keep the comp as a Mac?

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:46 AM

Oki doke bud that's great thanks, I've got a friend who part-owns a computer shop and will probably have a couple of old copies of a Mac OS, I'll grab a cheap HDD and a copy from him, where do I go from there, do I have to install boot camp or does it come on the OS? Also, which would be the best version of Mac OS incase I decide to keep the comp as a Mac?

Which Mac and model do you have, exactly? If you can provide that info, I can tell you which OS X it came with from the factory and which later version you can install on it.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Which Mac and model do you have, exactly? If you can provide that info, I can tell you which OS X it came with from the factory and which later version you can install on it.

As Buddyme2 noted, you really need to provide which Mac model you have. Also, if you want to run a particular version of Windows on it, then which one? That could dictate which version of the Mac OS you might want want install on it (see below).

If the Mac is new enough, then it will have the Internet Recovery mode (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314). If so, then you can install a new drive and then use Internet Recovery to re-install the version of the Mac OS that came with the Mac*.

Also keep in mind that not all versions of Boot Camp (which is tied to the version of the Mac OS) will support all versions of Windows (this means supply needed compatible drivers for some of the Mac's hardware). You will need newer versions of the Boot Camp for newer versions of Windows. And if I recall correctly, newest versions of Boot Camp may not support older versions of Windows (such as Windows XP).

* Introduced the Internet Recovery option when they released Mac OS X Lion (aka 10.7.x). At the time, Apple also released a firmware update for some previous models of Mac right before Lion was released that originally shipped with Snow Leopard (aka 10.6.x) that added the Internet Recovery option to those Macs. Thus, there are a few Mac models that original shipped with Snow Leopard recovery optical disks or USB drives that will likely re-install Lion by way of the Internet Recovery option.

#8 Davie702

Davie702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

Not a problem, sure it's a Power Mac G4 (2001) Model No: M8492

#9 Davie702

Davie702
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

As Buddyme2 noted, you really need to provide which Mac model you have. Also, if you want to run a particular version of Windows on it, then which one? That could dictate which version of the Mac OS you might want want install on it (see below).

If the Mac is new enough, then it will have the Internet Recovery mode (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314). If so, then you can install a new drive and then use Internet Recovery to re-install the version of the Mac OS that came with the Mac*.

Also keep in mind that not all versions of Boot Camp (which is tied to the version of the Mac OS) will support all versions of Windows (this means supply needed compatible drivers for some of the Mac's hardware). You will need newer versions of the Boot Camp for newer versions of Windows. And if I recall correctly, newest versions of Boot Camp may not support older versions of Windows (such as Windows XP).

* Introduced the Internet Recovery option when they released Mac OS X Lion (aka 10.7.x). At the time, Apple also released a firmware update for some previous models of Mac right before Lion was released that originally shipped with Snow Leopard (aka 10.6.x) that added the Internet Recovery option to those Macs. Thus, there are a few Mac models that original shipped with Snow Leopard recovery optical disks or USB drives that will likely re-install Lion by way of the Internet Recovery option.

This particular Mac is from 2001 (I know right, ancient!) it's the Power Mac G4, Model M8492, with that said, I'm guessing laying I could get Windows XP on this machine, being from around the same time as the Mac's original OS? If so then great, because since this is just a little project and not my main computer, I would like to take it back to Windows XP if possible, since it's still, to date, my favourite version of Windows.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

A PowerMac G4 will be using a PowerPC processor, not an Intel processor. As a result, it will not run Boot Camp.

Your only option to run Windows on that Mac would be to get Virtual PC for Mac by Microsoft. Here is a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Virtual-Windows-Professional-Version/dp/B0002NT83U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466072337&sr=8-2&keywords=virtual+pc

Note that Virtual PC for Mac is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW as it is an emulator rather than a "true" virtual machine. Since Windows cannot "address" a PowerPC (different "language" so to speak), the Virtual PC for Mac then "emulates" an Intel chip. As a result, there are more "steps" for things to "go thru", which means slower speeds. Don't even bother trying to play games (beyond something like Solitaire) with it.

Personally, I would not bother trying to run Windows on that Mac. Just put the Mac OS on it and "play" with the Mac OS.

Are your sure the model number is M8492? There is no PowerMac G4 with that model number. There is a model M8493. If that is the model, then it can run Mac OS X 10.0.4 up to 10.4.11.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users