Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Exec 2014 - Tapes Ejecting Before Job is Finished

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

We are running backup exec 2014 on a Server 2008 R2 STD server.

For the past few days, we are using backup tapes and for some reason, before the job is finished, the tape would just eject and until I go into the console and click on the job alerts which list "Please remove the media from the drive and click ok". If I don't click on anything, the job is stuck.

If I click on RESPOND OK, it will finish. Any ideas why this might be happening

The backup size was around 951-952GB total.

Before we starting having issues, the backups was up to 949GB so not sure how 1-2GB caused this.

Our tapes are 800GB/1.6TB compressed sized tapes.

Right now the tapes are not in full capacity after checking the storage section thought and I ran re-inventory as well.

Any ideas?

tape.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Years ago, my dad's company's accounting dept used TalGrass tape backup/restore machines [one each attached to a serial port of a 5150 IBM desktop].  If I remember those days correctly, there were at least two possible causes for a tape eject:  a re-used [over and over] tape was developing a bad spot and/or the media being backed was developing a bad spot.  "Bad spot" can be a sector or cluster causing a read error [or a tape write error] -- whether physical or "logical" in nature.

If this server is also a backup media for attached desktops and laptops:  this is a long shot, is there any program recently installed on a desktop or a laptop that uses a copyright-protection scheme?  Maybe not this day and age, however, for sure back then [just before defragging became popular], many programs created a "hiccup cluster" to minimize if not prevent program copying from one machine to another.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

nothing was installed that new. Only difference is the size of the backups.

This is happening to all the tapes drives (we cycle them each day every two weeks or so.  This started after reaching around 950GB and continues to popup.

The job itself shows it completed but only after the tape pops up and hitting the RESPOND OK button within the software to continue. Even if I disable/overwrite the respond ok, it still pops up so I am worried it doesn't actually finish the job.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

When you can buy a 3 TB hard drive for $80, you might want to consider going to an external hard drive instead of tape.  Much faster and reliable.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users