Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI gt70 laptop issues with new HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spamsucks

spamsucks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

Ok, This is a bit long... thanks for being patient. 

I have an MSI GT70 laptop computer in front of me. 

i7-3630QM

geforce GTX 675MX video 

16 gigs of ram.

Windows 8.1

The issue is this:

The m-sata drive in the computer was just about full (it was 128 gig drive)  So we decided to upgrade the drive. 

Bought a new m-sata drive, imaged the old hard drive, and re-wrote the image to the larger drive. Expanded the partition of the 

new drive to use all the space on the drive and shut it all down. Removed the 128 gig drive and installed the new one. 

The computer loads up directly to the bios. ok, check settings, the computer sees the drive, but save and exit and we are right back to the bios again.

Odd... put old drive back in computer and I am getting windows errors, the computer could not start, and it cant be repaired. ( there is only 1 gig or so left on it anyway.)

Ok, so put in the new m-sata drive in the secondary slot. I get windows booted in to safe mode, and the new drive shows up there. The computer will not get past the bios screen without the original m-sata drive in the slot.  So I did a fresh install of windows to the new drive while the old drive is in the slot, installed fine. If I select that drive from the boot menu, it will run the new install fine. It will not however let me run anything (including boot from usb / dvd ) unless that 128 GB m-sata drive is installed in the primary slot.

Now, even with both drives in there, there is a chance it will boot right to the bios anyway.

This is making me crazy... any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spamsucks

spamsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Let me update this. 

Now, windows  is installed on the new drive, and the old drive is still in place. If I start up the computer, it will go to MSI black screen, some letters will appear in the bottom corner. 

When it gets to A2 it restarts and does it all over again and again till I shut it off. 

After I shut it off, and then turn it back on... it goes right to the bios. if I hit escape and exit, it will then restart and bring me to a menu where I can select what drive I want it to boot from. 

At that point I can select the new drive and it will get to windows no problem. If I select the old drive, it tells me something is wrong and restarts a few times, before telling me windows cannot fix this computer.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

So boot to the new drive, copy over the files you want, and then format the old drive using DISKMGMT.MSC.
You will have to reinstall all of your programs. They can't be copied and work.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 spamsucks

spamsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

The issue is what happens when this drive dies. I can run the computer this way, tho it is being really quirky (see above) but if this drive stops working the laptop will be dead. I was hoping that someone would know what this means so I can solve it. 

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

One of the biggest gotcha's with laptops is that nobody tells folks that the hard disk drive is 7 times more fragile than a raw egg when it is running and that almost all of them now have a shock sensor built in which records the excess shocks so the manufacturer can say you voided your warranty.
The odds are this is what happened to the old drive and you need to get it physically out of the laptop. Even booted to the new drive, Windows checks the old one regularly and it will cause problems.
I have a 35 year old hard disk drive that still works fine and bunches that are over ten years old. Modern hard drives are amazingly reliable until they get banged too hard.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users