Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to plug USB 2.0 in mobo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

In my NZXT Phantom 820 case, there were 3 USB 2.0 cables. Two of them had two cables connected to them and one of them had one cable connected in it. What's the difference between the one with two cables and the one with one cable?

Also on my motherboard, there are two spots where it says USB. So I tried plugging the USB 2.0 into them and it seemed pretty loose. So I suspected I was doing something wrong. Do I even need to plug the USB 2.0  cable in? Btw my motherboard is MSI  Z170A GAMING M7

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2016 - 04:51 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:39 AM

Your case should have 4 x USB 2 ports & 2 x USB 3 ports somewhere on the front panel. The USB2 connectors will be a 2x5 pin connector with two 4 or 5 core cables going to it. The USB3 will be a 2x10 pin connector, probably with two 10 core cables.

You only need to plug the front panel USB cables in if you want the front panel USB connectors to work.

If you want to know where to plug stuff in on your motherboard then your motherboard manual is the place to go. If you don't have a printed copy then download it from here:-

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M7.html.html#down-manual

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

I read the one I own but it didn't say much about where to plug it in. And my case didn't have all those ports. The only thing I still haven't plugged in was the three ports named "USB 2.0" which one of them had only 4 core cables and the other two had 8 core cables connected to it.

I have already tried plugging the front panel usb cables, but they are loose. Is this normal?

#4 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

bump

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,434 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

You might find one or other of these videos useful -

The second one is by the makers so should be accurate !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users