Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Infinte Boot Loop Of A Different Kind.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darpa317

Darpa317

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:54 AM

4 Months ago I did do registry work to remove tencent Chinese virus/maleware thing.  Though I doubt it is related.  I got it all, I guess.  I might have done something then.....?

I have used my Credential manager only once since that time.

2 days ago  I tried to use my web credential manager, see the pic below.  Per a Microsoft "expert" on their forums.  I disabled  credential manager (services).  Then I was to reboot and reset it to manual & problem solved!

WAIT WHAT?  SOLVED?  Heck no!  Problem 100% worse.  Since I disabled credential manager I have been unable to access my computer.  It boots past the "Intro/Welcome" screen.  Then like the old error all I see is the spinny circle.  If I press alt-cntrl-delete I can get power options, WIFI options and something else.  But it is stopping short of letting me log in.

The ONLY thing I did was disable credential manager - as I was told.    Computer has worked virtually flawlessly since win 10 came out.  Then, I disabled credential manager, rebooted and now I am literally "stuck".  If you have questions or want to help - that would be awesome.  Thoughts?

Attached Files

Edited by Darpa317, 09 June 2016 - 04:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Please post a link to the post with the Microsoft "expert" advice.

Do you have a System Restore point that you can restore the system to (from before this problem occurred)?

Can you boot to System Repair (you'll find an option for System Restore in there)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Darpa317

Darpa317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:13 PM

Do you have a System Restore point that you can restore the system to (from before this problem occurred)?

Can you boot to System Repair (you'll find an option for System Restore in there)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

Ty for replying(help)! I will find the link ASAP!  Right now I am in process of downloading an ISO.  http://wccftech.com/download-windows-10-iso/

I believe your instructions were the similar - more detailed. I don't think I have a 4G USB flash laying around I can clean.  Is it worth me going to the store to buy one?  Or is an .ISO install (from CD) pretty much the same?  My computer is not reading the CD.  I assume this means I need to get into my BIOS somehow (I do not know key) and change bootstart up to CDfirst.  I have done that a few times over the years (Usually it was "DEL")..  Holding F8 while win 10 is loading does nothing.  I read it might bring me into recovery mode, is that incorrect?  While I am doing this is there ANYTHING else I should be checking or doing?  If any additional  thoughts or advice come to mind everything is appreciated.

Edited by Darpa317, 09 June 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#4 Darpa317

Darpa317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

This is what the DISC I burned looks like, I started before your instructions.  It does not seem to be loading on the bad CPU.   Is this correct or did I need to use an ISO burner program?  If wrong, I will go through and more thoughtfully read the instructions you gave.  I followed the Win 10 directions.

Attached Files

Edited by Darpa317, 09 June 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

You should be able to use the disk that you burned to access Startup Repair.

On the second screen you'll see a "Repair this computer" in the lower left corner.  That will take you into Startup Repair.

If you go past the second screen you'll start installing W10 - and that may wipe out your data.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Darpa317

Darpa317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

You should be able to use the disk that you burned to access Startup Repair.

On the second screen you'll see a "Repair this computer" in the lower left corner.  That will take you into Startup Repair.

If you go past the second screen you'll start installing W10 - and that may wipe out your data.

Crap  :)  I I tried start up repair, nothing.  Then I picked a restore from an image which I thought would be successful.  It failed and wiped all of my previously stored images.  It did create a log.  Would it help you to look at this log or others?  Do you have time?  If you do not, can you help me export it to disk, put it on this computer and post it, someone else might (I do not remotely mean that in a rude way).  I value people's time and my expectation is they can not always just help me (so many others)  There is also an option to keep my data or revert back to a previous build.  If possible I want to avoid a 100% fresh install.  Do you suggest one option over the other?

Could I just transfer data?  I do not know how but I do have another computer with a free HD & lots of blank CDs.  I realize this might allow pervious issues to persist.  But if I can log in, I can potentially repair them..  Ty for all the advice, I am getting traction after 2 days.

I am asking your opinion at this point:
Fresh Install - Least Favorable

Post Log See if Anyone can help
Revert To Previous Build

OR Install with keeping my data

I realize these options might still allow the previous problems to persist.  But if I could log in!!!!  Again thank you very much

Edited by Darpa317, 09 June 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Darpa317

Darpa317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

above msg was edited few times

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

As you tried the restore from an image (which I'm not familiar with), I'm going to ask a friend to take a look at this.

If you don't hear anything in 24 hours, post back and I'll start working on helping you with getting the reports.

#9 Darpa317

Darpa317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

As you tried the restore from an image (which I'm not familiar with), I'm going to ask a friend to take a look at this.

If you don't hear anything in 24 hours, post back and I'll start working on helping you with getting the reports.

(I am sorry, I type too much - but I do not want to leave details out - Not good writer either)

I did Advanced Options>System Recovery and "restore from a saved image", I forget the exact name.  But it seems Windows automatically saves restore points for me.  I tried using one of these restore points.  When I did, it failed and erased the other 10 or so existing restore points.  Hopefully that makes sense (I do not have my own backed up).  I have always used these "Autosave" ones but DANG!  This time it failed and all were erased.

You have helped me make more progress in 20 min than I have had in 48 hours of complaining to my wife, reading or just rebooting/resetting.  I do not mind a fresh install.  BUT MAN!  I installed Win 10 the week it came out.  The computer is 3-4 yrs old.  There is a lot of good stuff on it.  So if any one of my options in bold above seems like my next most logical step.  I will follow your advice.  If it fails, no big deal - fresh install.  But it is going to take over a week to get all my stuff back.  I only have me to blame for not making a proper backup and will accept such consequence.  With all my autosave restore points.  I want to choose the next option which is most likely to allow me to retain as much data as possible.  I can wait that 24 hr.....  Wish I could upvote and send you bitcoin! ;)

TY TY!!!!

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Replace registry hives with backup registry hive Windows has created.
Replace the C: drive letter with drive letter of the Windows install partition.
You will execute below command one at time from Command Prompt.
After replacing the registry hives restart your computer.
When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SAM SAM.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.BAK
Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\windows\system32\config
Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE C:\windows\system32\config

Edited by FreeBooter, 11 June 2016 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users