Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Apply this template to all subfolders' not working Clean install Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

I did a clean install of Windows 7 on a a second Dell Optiplex 780, identical to the one I talked about before, I bought another, installed Windows 7, plugged in a USB hard drive full of pictures, told one folder to view large icons, and sort by date modified, I right click properties and tell it to optimize for pictures and to "apply this template to all subfolders", that folder stays the same but none of the sub folders are applying what I just set, some are by details, some are showing by name, in fact none of the folders are following the template.

All I can find on this problem was a really old Windows Vista issue on this, but the problem they were having is different. There was nothing as regards to this problem for Windows 7.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Can I get help please? In fact there is another problem I am having as well on a clean install of Windows 7. Windows update closes itself. I opened Windows Update, told it to check for updates, left the window open and went to bed, I slept 12 hours which is unusual, woke up, found out that nothing happened, in fact, the Windows Update window was closed, must have happened sometime overnight. I reopen it and it says "most recent check for updates: Never"

I am having more problems on a clean install than a computer loaded with junk

Any help?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:43 PM

In XP if you went into any folder and chose 'Apply to all files and folders' that is exactly what it did. Win 7 is rather more funky about this. If a folder contains JPEGs, then it will set JPEGs to that view , but not say .DOC files. You have to go into a folder of .DOC type files to get them to view the same way.

Since I personally prefer everything in 'List' format I found this a bit of a nuisance, but I got used to it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Not really. It worked properly on all Windows 7 machines I ever owned, including the other Optiplex that was Windows 7 and is now Windows 10. Only this computer is being funky.

In fact, C++ redistribution 2005 and 2008 as well as .net framework 4 are failing install with all programs that require it as well as the official download from Microsoft. And dll files that programs try to register fail registering causing the install itself to fail

All on a clean install. What is wrong with my brand new install of Windows 7? None of these issues ever occurred in the other Dell Optiplex.

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 09 June 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

To add to that list, After 24 hours of waiting on update, I get a

"Failure configuring windows updates"

Clean install of Windows 7

#6 chrisk10

chrisk10

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Please try this.

Go into elevated CMD (run as admin) and type this, 

net stop wuauserv

You should see something like this

C:\Users\Administrator>net stop wuauserv
The Windows Update service is stopping.
The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.

Now run this

net start wuauserv

Now launch the Windows Update program and click "Check for Updates" on the left taskbar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users