Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Graphics Card Not Detected After Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chrisk10

chrisk10

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:46 PM

Hello people of Bleeping Computer!

This is my first time posting here and I have encountered an issue on my computer. About a week ago I some how managed to pick up the ZeroAccess rootkit. Instead of battling the rootkit, I decided to reinstall Windows. Now I reinstalled Windows three times today because each time I reinstalled Windows, my graphics card was not detected. Instead for my AMD R something graphics card I have the default one named "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." Previously on my other copy of Windows which was infected, my graphics card was detected and everything. I would really appreciate some assistance on this issue I am facing.

Also, I have not installed Windows Updates yet but I don't believe that will help, I will update this thread once I install the updates.

I have yet to hear from you guys and your support and all suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

Update//

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 in hope to fix this issue?

Regards,

Chris

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hello Chris and welcome to BC.

Whenever you reinstall an operating system, you must reinstall the motherboard drivers for that computer. In addition, you must also install the drivers for any video card that you have installed in your computer. I suspect that you have not done either, and that is why Windows is not recognizing your vid card.

At this point, installing Windows 10 will not solve your problem, you will end up with the same situation.

If you have any questions, post back.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Hello,
Thank you for the fast reply! The problem is I can't install any of the graphics card drivers or the motherboard drivers because the graphics card isn't detected. I have an AMD card so I cannot update it. My PC did not come with a disc for the video card or the motherboard. I can try installing the chipset but I doubt that will work. I also forgot to mention that the monitor is plugged directly into the video card. I will try to take out the card and put it into a different slot if I can or I will just try to put it back and make sure it is correctly slotted.
Thanks,
Chris

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

the graphics card isn't detected.

So do you mean that your monitor is dark and unresponsive, IOW you cannot see anything at all on it?

I can try installing the chipset but I doubt that will work

So...do you have a CD that contains the chipset drivers for your computer? If you do, that is what you need to get your video to work.

I have an AMD card so I cannot update it.

Any video card can be updated; if you have a separate card and not integrated video, it must have separate drivers that must be installed. Please post the manufacturer and model number of your computer; I have to know what you have. And if you have a separate video card please post the make and model of it. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hey,
So here's my issue in further detail. I purchased this PC two years ago from Walmart. It is an iBuyPower PC for gaming. I've had SO many problems with it and I've sent it into them for RMA about 6 times. I got it back around Febuaray after finding it actually was working for once. Then as I said, I had a nasty rootkit that was very bad. I couldn't even boot into the PC. I've had the same issue before, I reinstalled Windows to find that the video card is not detected. I shipped it into them and all they did was reinstall Windows and it seemed to work for them. Weird, right? They also switched my video card I think so I have no idea which card I have. I'm currently at school so I'll call them up today and see if I can find out which card I have. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to fix this?
Thanks,
Chris

#7 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

Also, there is no CD that came for chipset drivers, I can go to AMD.com and install them manually though.

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#8 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Anything / anyone? :(

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#10 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ihs67CrhF4ftMvqCFCHlNpI

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2016 - 08:37 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

I had a nasty rootkit that was very bad. I couldn't even boot into the PC. I've had the same issue before, I reinstalled Windows

How do you know that you had a rootkit? Describe exactly what the computer is doing; are there any system messages, etc? It sounds like you are experiencing the identical problems that you always had. And...please answer the first two questions item by item that I asked in my first post. At this point I am not sure exactly what your computer is doing wrong.

[edit]:  I just reviewed the specs for your board, and it runs integrated video (ATI Radeon 3000) so the chipset drivers that you have are necessary for that card to run properly. I will assume that those drivers are included in the restore partition that came with your computer, so in theory they are installed when you reinstall Windows from the restore partition that is on your computer. Since you have done this several times, it would appear that something other than the video card is causing your problems.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 June 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

svchost.exe     Process ID: 884     User: SYSTEM     Domain: NT AUTHORITY     Path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Memory Usage: 509 MB     Peak Memory Usage: 2.51 GB

Above svchost process needs investigation by you.  The peak memory usage there is way out of line, much too high.  Same is true for the following.

TrustedInstaller.exe     Process ID: 1008      User: SYSTEM      Domain: NT AUTHORITY      Path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
Memory Usage: 3.25 GB     Peak Memory Usage: 3.27 GB

I also noticed that your Windows Updates reflect an install date of...tomorrow.  That just isn't possible :).  IME...any time anomalies reflected by a system...can usually be rectified by replacing the CMOS battery, then resetting the BIOS to correct date/time/configuration data.

I don't understand all that rambling about not being able to install graphics drivers...you have an FX6300 CPU, which provides the aforementioned ATI graphics capability...by using the onboard graphics of your motherboard.  Installing the motherboard drivers should be all that is necessary, other than proper installation of the CPU.

Louis

#13 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

svchost.exe     Process ID: 884     User: SYSTEM     Domain: NT AUTHORITY     Path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Above svchost process needs investigation by you.  The peak memory usage there is way out of line, much too high.  Same is true for the following.

TrustedInstaller.exe     Process ID: 1008      User: SYSTEM      Domain: NT AUTHORITY      Path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe

I also noticed that your Windows Updates reflect an install date of...tomorrow.  That just isn't possible :).  IME...any time anomalies reflected by a system...can usually be rectified by replacing the CMOS battery, then resetting the BIOS to correct date/time/configuration data.

I don't understand all that rambling about not being able to install graphics drivers...you have an FX6300 CPU, which provides the aforementioned ATI graphics capability...by using the onboard graphics of your motherboard.  Installing the motherboard drivers should be all that is necessary, other than proper installation of the CPU.

Louis

I am / was currently installing Windows updates at that time :P

I have no idea how and what to investigate, any instructions?

#14 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

Louis

To add, this is what happens when I attempt to install the chipset drivers.

http://imgur.com/IeWAs4G

#15 chrisk10

chrisk10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

I had a nasty rootkit that was very bad. I couldn't even boot into the PC. I've had the same issue before, I reinstalled Windows

How do you know that you had a rootkit? Describe exactly what the computer is doing; are there any system messages, etc? It sounds like you are experiencing the identical problems that you always had. And...please answer the first two questions item by item that I asked in my first post. At this point I am not sure exactly what your computer is doing wrong.

[edit]:  I just reviewed the specs for your board, and it runs integrated video (ATI Radeon 3000) so the chipset drivers that you have are necessary for that card to run properly. I will assume that those drivers are included in the restore partition that came with your computer, so in theory they are installed when you reinstall Windows from the restore partition that is on your computer. Since you have done this several times, it would appear that something other than the video card is causing your problems.

It's a very long story, there really is no need for the explanation as I already reinstalled Windows and there is no going back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users