Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zeus Trojan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LampMan

LampMan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hello,
I would just like to apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum or if this has already been answered' I'm new.  
So, here's my dilemma. I use a windows 10 on a relatively new toshiba radius laptop. Now, as a student books, cost a lot so I had recently tried to torrent an ebook, which for some reason came in an iso format which I found weird but proceeded to unload anyway. But, seems like it had a virus hitched to it. Programs that I didn't know about started downloading left and right, the laptop starts to become noticeably slower, and then my screen eventually goes blue with text to call tech support. I made the call. Now the tech support seemed to be fairly skilled. Once I gave him control, he got us off the blue screen, told me the problem, and then told me to turn off other devices in my network as I had apparently contracted a Zeus Virus. However, he then told me I have around a week to buy one of the licensed anti-virus packages that he would suggest as the virus didn't just get my operating system but my internal hard-drive with estimates from $100-500. This made me uneasy as it started to come off as a sales maneuver. He then tell me to turnoff the laptop and do not turn it back on till i call him tomorrow with what i plan on doing. Should I go to my local tech support instead or is this the way to go? Sorry if I'm missing something; I am unfortunately not too tech savvy. Thank you very much for your help. 
Sincerely, an idiot

Edited by Andrew, 08 June 2016 - 08:10 PM.
Mod edit: Moved to more appropriate forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mAL_rEm018

mAL_rEm018

• Malware Response Team
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

Hello LampMan,

My name is mAL_rEm018, but feel free to call me mAL. :)

Sincerely, an idiot

There is no such thing as an being an "idiot" when it comes to computers.  Computers are extremely hard to understand and I myself learn something new everyday.  I prefer to look at it as being "unexperienced" or "unaware". :)

Programs that I didn't know about started downloading left and right, the laptop starts to become noticeably slower, and then my screen eventually goes blue with text to call tech support. I made the call.

I hate to give you the bad news, but this is a scam.

Once I gave him control,

By giving the "tech" remote access to your computer, there is no way to know exactly what was done to your computer.  They had "remote access" to your computer, which means that it's the same as if they were in front of it.  I personally don't think there is any way that this computer can be trusted in the future, unless you reformat it.  Please read the following article for more information: Remote Access Infections ... (why you should repave)

If you decide you don't want to reformat your computer, then this is what I suggest:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

mAL

Edited by mAL_rEm018, 09 June 2016 - 02:15 AM.

Teacher at the Malware Removal University.

Member of UNITE

Failure to post replies within 4 days will result in this thread being closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users