Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox-64 What are your impressions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

I would love to hear what everyone thinks about Firefox 64bit.  I am in the middle of a new install and wondered which one I will install.  I've read up on it but don't really know how it would affect me.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hi:

I am running 32-bit Fx under 64-bit Win7/64 currently, but here is some basic info:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds

You can actually install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same box, with a few special steps (custom install to a different folder), at least under Windows. For example:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1099181

HTH,

MM

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Do you mean 32bit vs 64bit? Or Firefox vs something else? 

Running Win7 64bit on a HD7950 GPU speed-battle.com gave FF64bit a overall score of 495 and Chrome 51.0.2704.79 a score of 675. FF looks to have faster render speed. HTML5 for FF shows 478 and Chrome is 521. Both could do 2K Fish at 60FPS on Fishbowl test.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hi:

I am running 32-bit Fx under 64-bit Win7/64 currently, but here is some basic info:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds

You can actually install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same box, with a few special steps (custom install to a different folder), at least under Windows. For example:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1099181

HTH,

MM

I will see if I have read that.

I heard of installing both, but I have a nice, new, clean install and want to install only one I think.  I want the least headaches possible lol

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Do you mean 32bit vs 64bit? Or Firefox vs something else? 

Running Win7 64bit on a HD7950 GPU speed-battle.com gave FF64bit a overall score of 495 and Chrome 51.0.2704.79 a score of 675. FF looks to have faster render speed. HTML5 for FF shows 478 and Chrome is 521. Both could do 2K Fish at 60FPS on Fishbowl test.

Very interesting!  I meant Firefox 64bit compared to 32bit, issues, dislikes, likes etc.

I am a Chrome user but like to Have both on all pc's I own.  I find Firefox really good and sometimes even faster than Chrome, but always want it for the excellent tool it is.  DownThemAll, NoScript etc. are really good.  I just hate the Bookmark manager or else would use it much more.  Thanks Trikein!  Still trying to learn all this stuff.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

I did read this one before from ghacks that was in included in the first link by MoxieMomma

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/03/32-bit-vs-64-bit-browsers-which-version-has-the-edge/

I'm curious, I forget how to see these figures and what they mean.  Like "RAM 10 Tabs open" for the 64bit is 903.3  Are those in MB?  I will probably stick with 32bit because I only have 4GB of RAM but will ponder it for a while.  Thanks, pcpunk

firefox-32-bit-vs-64-bit.jpg

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users