Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Product Key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JosephLee

JosephLee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

The product key that have been provided on the sticker on the bottom part of the laptop cannot be read, any chance of me finding the product key of the computer using software?

Edited by JosephLee, 08 June 2016 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Magical Jelly Bean

The free version will work for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 June 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#3 JosephLee

JosephLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

ah ok that works, another question is can I use this key for clean install for an OEM machine if I use the following method?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-an-oem-licence-key-be-used-to-activate-a/495b4da1-c1b7-4d93-82a9-8c8601bbaf32

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

Backup your Activation Files with Advanced Token Manager. If you do a clean install with a non-OEM install disk the Token Manager should allow you to not worry about calling Microsoft to activate as long as the version you are installing is the same as currently on the computer. If you are using a Retail version you may still need to do a phone activation.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

If this is an OEM and the computer has the recovery partition intact you could do a factory reset after backing up your data. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

JohnC_21....Have you used that tool? I just took a look at the instructions for using it.....about as clear as mud. If you have

used it and can list a step by step list of instructions....that would be very helpful. Or maybe it is just me or the creator of the tool

assumes way too much as to the potential user's abilities.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

When you run the tool all activation files are placed in the folder the program is unzipped to.

Run the exe file as Administrator.

Press the Activation Backup button.

At the end of the backup the Activation Backup button changes to Activation Restore and you will find a folder called Windows Activation Backup in the folder you unzipped the program to which has two files, config.ini and tokens.dat. Copy the folder to a flash drive.

After reinstall place the folder on the desktop  run as Administrator and press Activation Restore.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for that. Sounds simple enough....for me.

I would only add that anyone considering using the tool to read the info in the link for the tool, too. As it

mentions some limitations and possible errors while using the tool and what you would then need to do.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 dilopin

dilopin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Thank you for the informations. It's help me as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users