Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Connect To Internet After Tech Support

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

OS Win 7 Pro Sp-1  IE 11

Let me start by giving the background information.

I currently have a Uverse package that includes Internet, TV, and landline phone (yes, I still have one). The TV intermittently lost programming due to loss of signal. Called AT&T Support and was instructed to reboot TV's and to disconnect the power supply to the Modem, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect. Still did not fix the problem. So an appointment was made for a technician to come out. After hanging up the phone I then turned on the computer and tried to connect to the Internet. I could not. So, thought I'd wait for technician to come out as I presumed it was all related.

Technician arrived and replaced the modem, rebooted everything but still no internet connection. Computer is excruciatingly slow to respond, if it responds at all. When it tries to connect to the internet sometimes I get a blank screen with Internet Explorer logo in address bar. Still no joy!

Technician performed several diagnostics which include using his phone to connect to internet using new modem. He said he thinks the problem is with Windows itself as everything he sees says it should do so. I'm skeptical as this is so coincidental. However, I guess it can happen.

I'm using a DVD with Linux Mint to access the internet and Bleeping Computer.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2016 - 01:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

I think you pretty much answered your own question there... I am assuming that you are running Mint on the same computer that had Windows and couldn't reach the internet. Is that correct?

*Edit

Meaning... Yes, I think something happened with Windows... maybe just coincidental timing with the whole internet outage thing.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 08 June 2016 - 03:57 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

Technician performed several diagnostics which include using his phone to connect to internet using new modem. He said he thinks the problem is with Windows itself as everything he sees says it should do so. I'm skeptical as this is so coincidental. However, I guess it can happen.

the technician should be using their own test equipment to connect to the internet, they will normally never touch customers equipment/computers, their job is to provide an internet connection to your home, not to service your computer, if he used his own equipment to prove the internet connection works, then in my opinion he did his job, its up to you to get your computer working using that connection, not his,

#4 tomsbc

tomsbc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

Hi, this may not be your problem fix, but its worth a try,

Try this you may have a damaged or corrupt "winsock"

Bring up the Elevated Command Prompt
and Run As Administrator, then type in the window

netsh winsock reset

After it states it was successful, then Restart the
pc and wait FIVE FULL MINUTES, then try to connect
to the internet. Your internet should now work

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

I think you pretty much answered your own question there... I am assuming that you are running Mint on the same computer that had Windows and couldn't reach the internet. Is that correct?

*Edit

Meaning... Yes, I think something happened with Windows... maybe just coincidental timing with the whole internet outage thing.

Meaning that Linux is not installed along side of windows. I downloaded Mint Rafael Cinnamon to a DVD to try it out before actually installing.

the technician should be using their own test equipment to connect to the internet, they will normally never touch customers equipment/computers, their job is to provide an internet connection to your home, not to service your computer, if he used his own equipment to prove the internet connection works, then in my opinion he did his job, its up to you to get your computer working using that connection, not his,

I had no problem connecting to the internet prior to instructions set forth by phone tech support when I called them. It was only after following their initial instructions that I incurred the computer problem. Replacing the modem and still not being able to access the internet seems highly coincidental to me since the computer was performing satisfactorily and connecting to the internet prior to this.

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Hi, this may not be your problem fix, but its worth a try,

Try this you may have a damaged or corrupt "winsock"

Bring up the Elevated Command Prompt
and Run As Administrator, then type in the window

netsh winsock reset

After it states it was successful, then Restart the
pc and wait FIVE FULL MINUTES, then try to connect
to the internet. Your internet should now work

Thanks tomsbc, willing to give anything a shot.

The only other thing that may be pertinent is that prior to all of this when I hovered over the Internet Icon it said Internet Access 2. Now when I hover over the Internet Icon it says Internet Access 3. Don't know if that is significant or not.

I've tried "safe-mode with networking" as well as "last known good configuration". Don't know what other steps to take and that's why I requested help here at BC.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

See if deleting your Wireless profile then creating a new one works.

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

See if deleting your Wireless profile then creating a new one works.

Never had a Wireless profile that I am aware of, however AT&T tech said that this new modem is wifi capable, if that helps.

He did leave a paper with a wifi name and password.

This desktop is 6 yrs old and never had a problem until now.

Edited by sikntired, 08 June 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

Windows 7 > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane. You should see ATTXXX. Highlight each ATT wireless network and select Remove.

Click on the wireless icon in the System Tray. Click on your ATTXXX network and select Connect. Provide the WPA2 password. This should also be on a yellow sticker on the side of the modem.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

*Edit

Meaning that Linux is not installed along side of windows. I downloaded Mint Rafael Cinnamon to a DVD to try it out before actually installing.

Right... I am saying it isn't hardware related. It is Windows/software related since Linux works fine.

Try JohnC's instructions and see where you are at after that. You could always try re-installing the drivers if that doesn't work.

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

@JOHNC_21,

Thanks for the instructions. Will try them and report back.

@DeimosChaos,

Will  I have to go to manufacturer's website to re-install the drivers??

I now understand about Windows software problem as you had mentioned earlier, sorry.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

Yes, you should be able to get the LAN drivers off of the PC makers website. Try JohnC's first, then I would try that if it doesn't work.

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

@JOHNC_21, I don't have the option"Manage Wireless Connection". In the left pane I only have the options of "Change Adapter Settings" or "Change Advanced Sharing Settings". However in the body of the screen it shows "Basic Network Information and Set-up Connections". Below that, the options are "Set-up A New Connection or Network (set-up wireless, broadband, dial-up, ad hoc or vpn connection or set-up router or access point). The next option is "Connect To a Network" and the next option is "Choose Home Group and Sharing Options" and the fourth and final option is "Troubleshoot Problems".

I selected "Set-up A New Connection or Network" whereupon "Connect To the Internet" is highlighted. Then clicking on next, it says "You are already connected to the Internet". Below that, there are 2 options, "Browse Internet Now" (tried, no joy) and "Set-up New Connection Anyway". I selected the latter. Then it gives me the option of "How Do You Want To Connect?" Below that there is a box which has "Broadband (PPPoE) connect using DSL or Cable that requires a "User Name" and Password". I clicked on that and it brings me to "Type the Information Your ISP Provided". I entered all the info the tech left me. Then below that there is a box that says "Broadband Connection". I then hit enter and it shows a "progress bar" but comes back "Failed Error 651.

@DeimosChaos, I can't connect to internet to get manufacturer's drivers nor do I have access to another computer.

Any other suggestions??

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

You can use your Linux Mint DVD to go to the site and download the drivers. You can then click on your Windows drive and save them directly to wherever you want to (your Documents folder for example).

Has your Windows been slow for a little while? Or was it just all the sudden it was slow, can't access internet, etc.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

It should not be that difficult to connect. Do you have a wireless icon in the System Tray. Left click on it and you should see your gateway's SSID which on Uverse defaults to ATTXXX. Click connect and then provide the WPA2 password. 

Something is definitely wrong with Windows if Mint connects fine and Windows doesn't. 

Have you tried resetting TCP/IP? 

Type CMD in the search, right click and select Run As Adminstrator and type

netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users