Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comctl32.dll missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wheelyjon

wheelyjon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

Recently I had a bad disk block, I ran chkdsk /f and that seemed to correct it, but I am left with an error that comctl32.dll is missing, when I run programs. sfc /scannow found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth detected no corruption, DISM /online /cleanup-image /Scanhealth gives error 1726, the remote procedure call failed. Manually started RPC processes but still get error 1726 .
Any idea where I go from here? Any help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Have you tried replacing it with known good copies (both the 32 and 64 bit versions)?  I am not familiar with this process, so I don't provide instructions on how to do it safely.  I do know that doing this wrong and render your system unbootable - so be careful!!!

Have you posted a CBS log so one of the Windows Updates experts can assist with replacing the corrupt files (start a new topic with SFC.exe and CBS log in the title).

Other things to try would be:

- a System Restore to a point before this happened

- a RESET using the Keep My Files option (this will remove applications installed after the RESET point was made, but should leave your data alone).

- a repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

- backup your stuff and then do a RESET using the Remove Everything option

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I make regularly to an external hard drive.  This is just one of many reasons why they're necessary.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Just FYI - Windows is moving in the direction that Niweg states.  It's becoming more and more common to just reset rather than repair (and it's usually much quicker!).

And, if you have a good backup of your data it's relatively painless.

And, if you'd like, there are methods to incorporate a system backup into the Windows RESET process - so you don't lose your programs and/or settings that you originally setup when you setup Windows:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616536/creating-a-windows-backup-image/

Edited by usasma, 09 June 2016 - 06:21 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users