Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power flowing through Advent 3001 laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 click66

click66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

So I've been asked to take a look at an old Advent 3001 laptop which was reported to randomly turn itself off, unusable for more than a few minutes at a time. Indeed, when I first took a look at it, it wouldn't even turn on. I've found that if I turn the laptop on its side, sometimes I can hear power start to flow and it does turn on, but as soon as I move it the power drops again. So clearly it's a mechanical fault.

I firstly noticed that the power cable was slightly damaged, so I replaced the power cable assuming it was a loose connection. Of course the battery should have kept it on, but it was a very old laptop and assumed the battery had died. However, replacing it changed nothing. I then replaced the power jack including the cable that ran to the motherboard, but that has also made no difference. With the new power cable and power jack, I can still (as above) get it to very occasionally flow power through when I turn it on its side, but there has been no noticeable improvement.

I am basically at the point of giving up now, as it is my assumption that the problem probably lies in the motherboard itself, and thus it would be better at this stage to just get a new laptop. But thought as a last ditch effort I'd post on here in case anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by click66, 08 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

it could be turning off because the processor is over heating,

is the fan running? are the cooling vents and cooling fins clean and clear of dust?......sometimes its hard to tell this without disassembling it

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

@click66.

First of all - welcome to BC !

If I read your post correctly, you replaced the battery. Since almost all new batteries arrive with at least some charge in them, there should have been enough power to boot the computer regardless of the supply from the charger. That and the fact that it works - sometimes - if you turn it on its side suggests that there is indeed a mobo problem, and not one related to the charger input socket. Input socket problems, mainly due to broken solder joints due to excessive force, are reported fairly frequently. This sounds more like a failure of the mobo itself - possibly a crack or a failed component mounting. Is there any evidence or history of it having been dropped ?

Sorry I can't be more optimistic but a think a new laptop is the most effective way to go.

@mikey11

Heat can cause thermal shutdowns, and it never does any harm to keep cooling systems clean, but to generate heat a system has to be running first !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 click66

click66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hi both,

Thanks for your responses. @mikey11, since i had to disassemble it to replace the power jack I gave it a clean just in case, but actually it was all fairly fine and like Chris said, it wouldn't turn on in the first place most of the time.

@Chris Thanks for your welcome! :) Good surmising; I'm glad to hear my analysis was basically correct then. I would not be surprised if it had been dropped, it's not exactly in the best shape anyway. I will go back to the owner and the break the news!

Thanks again all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users