Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EmsiSoft AntiMalware - is it malware??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rjstrauss

rjstrauss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

Based on the suggestion on THIS website, I downloaded this product and installed it. Once I did, most of my other software would not run, including such things as Fitbit, monitor calibration, RKill, and IE. I am running and up-to-date Windows 10. To top it off, Windows would/could not uninstall this program!!! I used Task Manager to end all tasks and stop all services related to this software, still no luck. I had to reboot into safe mode and make sure that none of it's components were running before I could get rid of this.

So, on a website supposedly dedicated to the end of viruses and malware, to find that one of their recommended products is the very definition of malware is more than a little distressing. I wonder what else, if anything, I can trust from this site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Emsisoft is a legitimate Antivirus company and their programs are also legitimate (not malware at all). Many of their employees are also on BleepingComputer providing assistance:

Elise, a Malware Analyst is one of the Study Hall's Admin: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/160991/elise/
Fabian Wosar, Emsisoft's CTO, is a Security Developer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/769280/fabian-wosar/
GT500, Customer Support, is a Security Colleague: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/377072/gt500/
And so on.

What security software (Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall, etc.) do you have installed on your system? There might have been a conflict between Emsisoft and these programs.

Edited by Aura, 08 June 2016 - 02:30 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rjstrauss

rjstrauss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Good to know. I am running Kaspersky Total Security (currently at version 16). Please note, I was finally able to uninstall this, but to have it not allow web access is really, really bad.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

That's your issue. You shouldn't run two Antivirus programs at the same time on a system, since it can cause system conflict and instability. I know that Kaspersky products will refuse to install on a system if another Antivirus is already present, probably to prevent these kind of situations. So installing Emsisoft probably caused Kaspersky (and even Emsisoft) to go haywire, resulting in all your issues.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Emsisoft is not meant to be installed alongside other AVs anymore, so installing it with Kaspersky Total Security is not a good idea. If you wish to try EAM, please uninstall Kaspersky first.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

Bleeping Computer's hosted programs for download are trustworthy, safe and malware-free.

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products?

No.
Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution and offers solid protection. Emsisoft Internet Security also includes these features, but with the addition of a firewall for comprehensive protection of your computer.

We now strongly discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time...The use of two or more antivirus programs is at your own risk.

BTW...the correct way to uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security is by using the uninstaller provided in the program folder or from within its program group using the Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs > Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder.In the rare case of an incomplete uninstall, you can use the Emsisoft Uninstall Tool (emsiclean.exe) to remove any remaining traces of the program as long as the installation was performed using the default path of Program Files or Program Files (x86). Be sure to run the tool with Administrative rights.You may want to run the uninstall anyway to ensure everything was properly removed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

A member of the Emsisoft support team stated that Emsisoft products are not compatible with Kaspersky products on Windows 10, EAM included. So I would chalk it down to what Aura said about incompability between AVs.

#8 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

Please note that you can contact Emsisoft for help with our products via our helpdesk or our support forums. We're always happy to help. :wink:

Sintharius is correct that on Windows 10 you should expect issues with our software and Kaspersky's software, so we recommend removing one of them. You may need to uninstall them in Safe Mode due to the issues you are experiencing.

BTW: If you have to use Emsiclean to uninstall our software (as mentioned by quietman7), please note that it is designed to be run after a product has been uninstalled normally to remove leftovers, so if you were not able to run the uninstaller normally then Emsiclean may need to be run more than once (in between reboots of the computer) to completely remove our software. You may also need to run it in Safe Mode (or Safe Mode With Networking if you will need Internet access) if you can't run it while Windows is running normally.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#9 audiomonk

audiomonk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Here's a crazy idea, seeing as how it's not widely known that installing this alongside Kaspersky will seriously mess up your PC. It's a bit radical, but here goes.

Emsisofts installer could actually check to see if Kaspersky is installed!! 

I know, I know, call me a genius (actually not because I made the same mistake and it hurt). Save people the headache, and panic of 

1. Not being able to uninstall Emsi
  2. Not being able to uninstall anything
  3. Not being able to run Revo Uninstaller
  4. Stopping the browser from working to find a bleedin answer to the problem

Yes yes, safe mode will allow Revo to remove your software, but without a browser, how did I know that was going to work? 

So GT500 get on it, it was a horrible experience. I've not checked your site (I downloaded it from here) but you need to plaster that all over your download page in big letters, DO NOT INSTALL ALONGSIDE KASPERSKY also please do the same on this website. In fact, I felt so strongly about this, I even registered at this forum to let people know.

Also, please check for Kaspersky installations on your installer, and stop it running if there are.

It's easy to be wise after the event, but think on.

#10 GT500

GT500

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

Thank you. I have passed your suggestion on to our QA Manager. :wink:

Also, if you (or anyone else) needs any assistance with our products, then please feel free to open a support ticket in our helpdesk system, post a topic in our support forums, or browse our knowledgebase to see if there's an answer to your question there.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

EAM is no longer compatible with other AVs, so the norm of no two AVs at the same time should apply.

#12 audiomonk

audiomonk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

I've got Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Gridinsoft Anti Malware and Hitman Pro all living happily together, so to me the norm is all playing happy families. That's why it struck me as odd that EAM threw a hissy fit.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

Not odd since the newer EAM versions are not always fully compatible anymore because of changes in technology and efforts to employ exploit mitigation.

The biggest issue with shipping exploit mitigation is the fact that we always tried to maintain compatibility to other AVs and as a consequence a lot of users use EAM alongside another AV. Implementing exploit mitigation will break compatibility to a lot of AVs that also include some kind of exploit mitigation. If you ever tried to run MBAE, EMET or HMPA alongside each other, you will know what I am talking about here. If we do decide to ship some form of exploit mitigation, it will only be after a head start to people have time to decide whether they want to stick to EAM or their existing AV.

Fabian Wosar, Post #6

That's why Emsisoft updated the link provided in Post #6 some time ago to say no and include they discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 GT500

GT500

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

Just to clarify a few things:
  • It is correct that EAM is intended to be a stand-alone anti-virus solution.
  • While we don't intend for it to be used alongside other anti-virus software, it does get along reasonably well with most of them (obviously KIS on Windows 10 is an exception).
  • When you have more than one security software with real-time protection, and they open hooks to each other's processes, it can cause performance and freezing issues. The more security softwares with real-time protection you have, the greater the potential for such issues. Therefore, if you feel you must have more than one security software with real-time protection, we recommend having no more than two installed at the same time.
  • When you do experience compatibility issues, usually adding exclusions so that the security softwares don't monitor each other's processes (and more importantly don't open hooks to each other's processes) will usually resolve those issues (however I do not know if it will have any effect on the issues with EAM and KIS).

Obviously, as quietman7 pointed out, there can be technical reasons why compatibility simply is not an option.

Also keep in mind that as the technology that security software is based on changes, the above points can change as well. As new versions of each security software are released, things aren't necessarily going to work like they did before, and sometimes software that seemed to work OK together will suddenly be incompatible.

#15 audiomonk

audiomonk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

GT500, very informative, and I can see what you're saying, but it really needs shouting from the rooftops on the website. My experience as said is that the software I've been using previously has had no compatibility issues, the reason I have so much is that stuff gets missed by one, but picked up by another. Gridinsoft often picks up things that Malwarebytes doesn't find. The reason I tried EAM was because of recommendations, and my KIS is about to expire (50 days). So, looking at alternatives.

I get that EAM isn't compatible, but it's closing the door after the horse has bolted. As I mentioned, it wouldn't be too much of an ask to get EAM's installer to check for incompatible software before installing, lots of others do this.

That's your issue. You shouldn't run two Antivirus programs at the same time on a system, since it can cause system conflict and instability. I know that Kaspersky products will refuse to install on a system if another Antivirus is already present, probably to prevent these kind of situations. So installing Emsisoft probably caused Kaspersky (and even Emsisoft) to go haywire, resulting in all your issues.

Should you trust only one? That's a deeper question. 

Anyway, I've had my say, the software should check for other products before installing if it's going to cause major problems, and don't assume people will uninstall KIS if you don't tell them to in large clear warning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users