Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad block - is my system dying?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Worrieddo

Worrieddo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hello!

I hope someone may explain this to less than tech savy person as I am.

Last 3 days my computer has been freezing and crashing.

I used GSmartControl

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsmartcontrol/files/0.8.7/gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip/download

And got rather disturbing results - can someone please explain these to me? (attached file)

Is there any hope to salvage this system or is it time to buy new PC?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Shot.jpg   193.8KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

The drive is in the process of failing. I would back up all your important data immediately and purchase a new drive. Keep an eye on Current Pending Sector Count. These are sectors that cannot be read and waiting to be reallocated. Your Reallocated sector count is zero which means sectors are corrupted but cannot be reallocated. If your Pending Sector Count keeps increasing your hard drive may be unbootable depending on which sectors fail and if they cannot be reallocated.

#3 Worrieddo

Worrieddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

The drive is in the process of failing. I would back up all your important data immediately and purchase a new drive. Keep an eye on Current Pending Sector Count. These are sectors that cannot be read and waiting to be reallocated. Your Reallocated sector count is zero which means sectors are corrupted but cannot be reallocated. If your Pending Sector Count keeps increasing your hard drive may be unbootable depending on which sectors fail and if they cannot be reallocated.

Thank you for much for your quick answer!

I see, so it is time to say good bye to this one. This isn't topic for this, but if you'd help with this one last thing - can you tell me why this might have happened? I  mean, was it just old age for HDD or are there activities that can cause this? I have done quite many spyware and anti-virus checks along with disk checks - could these have put on more pressure and prematurely aged HDD? I only got this PC 6 years ago.

Edited by Worrieddo, 09 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

Drives can fail at any time, new ones too. Just the nature of the beast. Drives today are junk compared to how they were built 10 or 15 years ago. 

#5 Worrieddo

Worrieddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Drives can fail at any time, new ones too. Just the nature of the beast. Drives today are junk compared to how they were built 10 or 15 years ago. 

Would Mac computer last longer in this case or do Mac's drives suck these days as well?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

There are only there drive manufacturers currently. This is platter HDD's, not SSDs. It does not make a difference what Computer you purchase. It will be one of the three manufacturers. Studies have been made where the HGST drives are more reliable. HGST is a division of WD.

300px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users