Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi is connected, but laptop won't let me connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 SixtySixty

SixtySixty

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hi all,
I have a very frustrating problem with my Windows 10 insider build 14352.1002 laptop.

This started happening a short time after I upgraded to the above OS. The icon in the system tray is displaying my SSID and citing "Internet access", Wi-Fi is enabled and flight mode is disabled. However, any web browser or program that requires or allows a connection to the internet will not work because my PC is apparently not connected to the internet. For example, I get a "This page can't be displayed" message in IE and a "Can't reach this page" message in Edge. I can, however, ping my router without any problems. I send a ping request to the router and the router replies, implying an active network connection. I've tried everything, from reconnecting to the network to restarting the wireless card to updating the drivers to resetting the system, but nothing works. I even tried a system file check (sfc /scannow) but no violations were found. I know it's not a router issue because all other devices in my house can connect to the internet with no problems.

To top it off, this is a brand new laptop (over a month old).

Your assistance is highly appreciated. :)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 June 2016 - 07:57 AM.
moved from Networking to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

try pinging a website like yahoo from a command prompt

Edited by mikey11, 08 June 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#3 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Do you want me to use the URL or the IP address?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

Look for 3rd party wireless utilities. Also, can you get online wired? Also make sure your wireless NIC drivers are installed. Some wireless NIC don't have Windows 10 drivers.

#5 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

I don't have access to an ethernet wire. Also, the internet stopped working about a week ago and I've had windows 10 for over a month, suggesting that the drivers were installed properly from day 1. There were no updates available for the NIC drivers when I checked.

#6 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

mikey11 I'm currently pinging the yahoo website with 32 bytes and the website is replying, suggesting that I am connected to my network.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

start the computer in safe mode, can you view webpages then?

#8 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

mikey11 there are 3 downsides.
1. I don't know how to start in safe mode.
2. My screen readers might not work.
3. My other downloaded programs, such as Speakonia, might not work.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power 5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50. > Restart.
do not let go of the shift key till it restarts!
  1. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

#10 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

My screen reader doesn't work if I try to boot into the options menu. Can I not just press 5 or F5 as soon as the PC fires up?

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

My screen reader doesn't work if I try to boot into the options menu. Can I not just press 5 or F5 as soon as the PC fires up?

I would suggest bringing your computer to a repair shop then. If you are physically unable to troubleshoot the PC, then perhaps someone else can or atleast help you. F5 is just another way to start safe mode. If safe mode stops you from being able to use the computer, then it doesn't matter how you get there.  It's possible you are infected with some kind of malware.

Edited by Trikein, 09 June 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#12 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Trikein I'll be doing a full malware scan of my computer later.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Trikein I'll be doing a full malware scan of my computer later.

Good luck. I hope my suggestion didn't come off too strong. I have a friend who is completely blind and I help him out with his technology so I know the limitations. If you find no hints of malware, also check your Antivirus. Sometimes the firewall can break after a update and keep your browsers from accessing the internet. Starting in safe mode with networking stops any AV from loading, possibly isolating the problem, but it may be possible to disable it from the task bar too. Depends on which AV you have and the version. 

#14 SixtySixty

SixtySixty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

My AV is Windows Defender and my firewall is Windows firewall. I'll consider updating the virus definitions before scanning. If I don't find any malware, I'll try F fiving into safe mode with networking. Thanks for the advice Trikein :)
Just a side note, it's not just browsers that aren't connecting, it's programs as well.

#15 EjDj118

EjDj118

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

This happened to me with my Samsung LED 40" TV. It has been the same day since I have just recieved my SkyInfinity Router. I waited 2 hours for the net to come active. It did come active and I was able to connect my phone and access the net. I got excited so I connected my TV. I didnt work as I kept getting a msg saying "Connected to the router, but not to the net." I was like whaat?? But the on my phone a few hours latr i got a login page saying "Your Up and running. Some devices werent able to establish a connection between the beta labs and your new connection, thats why we had to tweak it." Hope it Helped!
This happened to me with my Samsung LED 40" TV. It has been the same day since I have just recieved my SkyInfinity Router. I waited 2 hours for the net to come active. It did come active and I was able to connect my phone and access the net. I got excited so I connected my TV. I didnt work as I kept getting a msg saying "Connected to the router, but not to the net." I was like whaat?? But the on my phone a few hours latr i got a login page saying "Your Up and running. Some devices werent able to establish a connection between the beta labs and your new connection, thats why we had to tweak it." Hope it Helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users