Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to manage or disable Norton Security Suite backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

My friend has Norton Security Suite / Norton AntiVirus Version 22.6.0.142 on her Win7 laptop

A few weeks ago she asked me to check out the laptop because Norton's backup wasn't working anymore plus the computer was slow.

When I checked it out there was only 1% free space.

In addition to the Norton backup not working anymore there were also a number downloads  too numerous to mention here and I recommended she have the computer professionally cleaned and tuned up.

--- She has done that

She purchased a 128 GB flash drive to back up to per the repairers recommendation but she just called and told me nothing is happening so I'm going to be checking that out.

However I don't use Norton and I'm not familiar on how it works even though I've tried to look it up

--- I do know she has data in each one of the library folders

So I'm wondering

Where are the Norton backups saved when there isn't external media to save to?

--- I need to find out if there is anything in whatever location that is

How to designate backups to the 128GB flash drive?

--- Even then, what's to stop that from becoming too full as her 500GB HDD was 99% full?

--- If the backup schedule is on a daily basis, that's going to be problem

Is it possible to disable Norton's backup?

As a personal note I don't understand how a professional computer person just tells her to just get a 128 flash drive and back up to it:

--- From what she told me there wasn't an explanation on how to do that as well as how to manage it.

--- I know that if an external hard drive would have been recommend she would have accepted his recommendation

--- I also know if he would have told her he would set up a backup schedule for her she would have gone along with that also. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

i believe norton will give you an option as to where the backup is saved, so you will need to look and find out where that location is, i am not sure what the default location would be,

i would suggest disabling the norton backup and use the windows backup feature,

128GB is not all that big to do regular backups, would have been better off buying another hard drive (500GB or 1TER) and using it to do backups using an external hard drive enclosure with USB cable,

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

That turned out to be an excellent visit.

The computer repair person got the hard drive down to about 80GB used space and he deleted the Norton backup.

He did explain something to my friend about using the 128GB flash drive but it was over her head.

So I need to credit that professional person the credit he deserves as he certainly did his job.

I saved her data onto the 128GB flash drive.

Unfortunately, she's balking at getting external hard drive now and get into creating system image backups.

But I did create a system repair disc for her.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

"...I saved her data onto the 128GB flash drive..."  I think using at least one if not two usb external 1-3TB hard-drives might be better in the long run.  Some laptops have room for a 2nd HD, that would better than a flash drive.

I'm wondering if she would be better served long-run using free version Macrium Reflect.

Also, during a quiet, non-busy time, consider letting her know there is only ONE reason for doing backups:

You are going to restore an OS partition and/or a data partition or a whole drive, it's a matter of time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users