Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is spin rotater speed of this hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hello, I have a 500gb seagate hard drive. Not online, its from domestic shopping hard drive. According to manufacture(not company) and this website http://techreport.com/review/16472/seagate-barracuda-7200-12-hard-drive it spin rotater speed is 7200rpm but according to software named diskcheckup it seems that hard disk has 5900rpm. How can i know which is true? And in cover it is not giving any information. Is there any idea of this or software to know this hdd specs? Help.

Edited by LiamP5, 08 June 2016 - 09:49 AM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

What is the exact model of your HDD? Some of the Seagate drives, like the .15 models are only 5900RPM.

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

Its ST3500312CS.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Spindle speed  5900 RPM

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/manual/ce/Pipeline%20HD%20Series/100529372j.pdf

Drive specifications Pg 12

Edited by Platypus, 09 June 2016 - 08:57 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks platypus, Now i know its exact speed is 5900RPM and did i do mistake? Because at first i buy Magnetic Disk Technology 500gb SATA 7200RPM but not to much fast as my old seagate 160gb 7200RPM PATA then i noticed, it was 5 years old hdd and got 5.8 rating in WEI of win-7 x64 home premium and i exchange it with seagate pipeline 500gb, it got 5.9 rating which one is best? How? Which year did the seagate pipeline was made? Did i do mistake by exchanging?
Be happy, always try
for it

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thanks platypus, Now i know its exact speed is 5900RPM and did i do mistake? Because at first i buy Magnetic Disk Technology 500gb SATA 7200RPM but not to much fast as my old seagate 160gb 7200RPM PATA then i noticed, it was 5 years old hdd and got 5.8 rating in WEI of win-7 x64 home premium and i exchange it with seagate pipeline 500gb, it got 5.9 rating which one is best? How? Which year did the seagate pipeline was made? Did i do mistake by exchanging?

Windows HDD rating is not accurate. Better to test with HD tach or HD tune for example.

As for speed, RPM is not only thing that matters, as data density is even more important. However for 500GB drives, 7200 RPM model is probably fastest.

#7 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

Windows HDD rating is not accurate. Better to test with HD tach or HD tune for example.

As for speed, RPM is not only thing that matters, as data density is even more important. However for 500GB drives, 7200 RPM model is probably fastest.

Then can you tell where i get HD tach or HD tune. According to diskcheckup it is found magnetic disk is sata 2.5 compliance and seagate pipeline sata compliance 2.6, md has 16mb buffer size than seagate has 8mb buffer size, md have 3.0gb/s transfer mode, seagate have 1.5gb/s transfer mode. It shows that md have more utility but it is older than seagate pipeline (md made in july 28 2011) and another thing is that there is another hdd named western digital hdd 500gb WD5000AAX of june 28 2011 but older is it good?
Be happy, always try
for it

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

Then can you tell where i get HD tach or HD tune.

Google?

According to diskcheckup it is found magnetic disk is sata 2.5 compliance and seagate pipeline sata compliance 2.6, md has 16mb buffer size than seagate has 8mb buffer size, md have 3.0gb/s transfer mode, seagate have 1.5gb/s transfer mode. It shows that md have more utility but it is older than seagate pipeline (md made in july 28 2011) and another thing is that there is another hdd named western digital hdd 500gb WD5000AAX of june 28 2011 but older is it good?

SATA compliances, buffer sizes and SATA transfer modes have very small effect.

Western Digital should be faster but not much difference.

#9 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

But its older than md and does it have 7200rpm speed. Then tell me what have high effect that shows about what capacity of hdd have? What should i know before buying hard disk?

Edited by LiamP5, 09 June 2016 - 01:17 PM.

Be happy, always try
for it

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

But its older than md and does it have 7200rpm speed. Then tell me what have high effect that shows about what capacity of hdd have? What should i know before buying hard disk?

I got confused what disks you actually have as "Magnetic Disk Technology 500gb SATA 7200RPM" does not tell anything. Is it that Seagate or something else?

Usually 1 TB (1000 GB) drives are much faster than 500 GB drives, if both are 7200 RPM. Many bigger HDD's are slower as then try to reduce power consumption (and so lower RPM).

Ask here what hard disk to buy, best option as there are many features that matter.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

That new drive is much faster than the old, 160GB one you had and 5.9 is as high as the WEI will report for any traditional hard disk drive. It is; however, 5900 RPM, not 7200.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

For straightforward Data Transfer Rate, a drive's platter data density makes a big difference. If a drive with newer technology can have twice as much data stored on each track, the newer drive would show a raw DTR of twice the older drive. So even if its spin speed is lower, it can be "faster" in that area. There are other considerations though, such as latency (how quickly it can find requested data). As Davis says, it's safe to think the drive will be noticeably faster than a 160GB PATA drive.

The ST3500312CS is a video optimized drive, so it tries to deliver the best combination of excellent streaming (continuous data supply), quiet operation and modest power consumption. It should be fine for general computer use, but could be expected to lag behind an equivalent 7200 RPM drive in things like database searches or some types of gaming. All other things being equal, a 7200 RPM drive should have slightly higher DTR with slightly lower latency, and will probably have faster seek times but be noisier doing it.

Edited by Platypus, 10 June 2016 - 07:33 AM.
Typo

#13 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:41 PM

I got confused what disks you actually have as "Magnetic Disk Technology 500gb SATA 7200RPM" does not tell anything. Is it that Seagate or something else?

I have seagate pipeline right now and Magnetic disk technology 500gb sata 7200RPM was my old hdd. Md has higher buffer size, speed but it is older in sata compliance than seagate pipline and other many things. Which is better? And can established date affect the speed of the hard disk.

As Davis says, it's safe to think the drive will be noticeably faster than a 160GB PATA drive.The ST3500312CS is a video optimized drive, so it tries to deliver the best combination of excellent streaming (continuous data supply), quiet operation and modest power consumption. It should be fine for general computer use, but could be expected to lag behind an equivalent 7200 RPM drive in things like database searches or some types of gaming. All other things being equal, a 7200 RPM drive should have slightly higher DTR with slightly lower latency, and will probably have faster seek times but be noisier doing it.

I am not comparing with 160 PATA hdd just trying to know magnetic disk technology 7200rpm sata 2.5 of 2011A.D is faster or seagate pipeline 5900rpm sata 2.6(don't know the date) or Western digital 500gb WD5000AAX(not bought, of 2011A.D) is faster? Tell me which is better and i cannot afford other hdd because time is not with me now. So which is better in this three?
Be happy, always try
for it

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

which is better in this three?

There's no single thing that makes a drive "better", and often no way to be sure which has the higher performance in different areas other than running tests. The WD5000AAX is a Caviar Blue which is a respectable mid-range drive and I think if I was given the choice I'd prefer it. Online benchmarks can be questionable, and may not show the exact variant of each drive, but for example the comparison here has the AAKX variant of the WD a little ahead:

http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/1659/ST3500312CS
http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/398/WDC-WD5000AAKX-001CA0

#15 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:18 AM

Thanks platypus for fast reply, It means that Western digital hard drive is ahead how can i know it has 7200rpm speed because the hdd you have shown is 2010 hdd and i have seen is 2011 but both are caviar blue.
Be happy, always try
for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users