Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is microsoft self-sabotaging their older operating systems?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lostedge

Lostedge

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

I have a older computer that run just fine with Windows XP and Windows Vista (the computer had not been use, and the current installed OS was W7). Few days ago I reinstalled Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista x64 and they both ended in a disaster.

XP: I installed first the updates by using pre-downloaded servicepacks and then the chipset drivers. XP went to bleeps because installation of Avast failed. I also had a problem with USB-ports which stopped working. Anyway after failed avast installation the operating system wouldnt boot up anymore. I decided the install Vista instead. 

Vista: After installing servicepacks I noticed that Windows Update is not working anymore. Tried solving it by installing Fix It tool from microsoft. I encountered another problem where powershell did not install. I gave up on getting the update service to work, and decided to do some benchmarks. The computer froze and after pressing the reset Windows Vista wouldnt boot up anymore.

W10: I decided to install W10 ... everything works now.

I dont remember the older operating systems being so bad, or I am just seeing things through rose-tinted glasses?

SPECS:

MSI P35 Platinum

4x 1Gb G.Skill DDR2 800Mhz

Q6600 Go

HD 5870

Edited by Lostedge, 08 June 2016 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Probably a combination of rose-tinted glasses and software changing. Here's the thing: Vista and XP aren't supported anymore. This lack of support means they don't receive new features that may be used by modern software. So stuff breaks. The longer the OS has been out of support, the worse things get. Conspiracy theories are silly simply because there is no need for M$ to sabotage old OSes.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

And, it's not just Microsoft (but they get the most blame).

Manufacturer's abandon their old products so they can develop new products.

The old products don't get support from the developers, so they can't be supported by Microsoft either.

This happens to both hardware and software products.  And as they get older, they're more likely to conflict with the newer features released in more updated versions of Windows (which is one reason why they're classed as "incompatible")

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users