Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TeamViewer hacked! What Next To Use?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Now that Teamviewer has been hacked and they refuse to admit it, both publicly and on the phone, I'm trying to decide what to use next. I liked Teamviewer for the past 3 years, using a commercial license with Version 8 and they offered decent American support. In the past I had commercial licenses for GoToAssist and LogMeIn but both were very buggy when it came to unattended access. Someone in another forum mentioned InstantHousecall, and I tested it but still I'm a little gun shy now when it comes to the security of my company and our clients for managed services. Can anyone else please weigh in on this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

What were you using teamviewer for in your company? I also think the jury's still out on who's lying and who's being honest in this so-called breach.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

What were you using teamviewer for in your company? I also think the jury's still out on who's lying and who's being honest in this so-called breach.

We were using it for unattended access.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

If you are using a strong password, and two factor authentication you are probably fine. As ScathEnfys said, its not very clear on what is what right now. I would just check/monitor your logs for any suspicious activity. It seemed that most of the people "hacking" (I use that term loosely) into teamviewer were coming from China IP addresses I believe. So easy enough to check for strange activity.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

Thanks to both of you. In your opinions, would you prefer using TeamViewer over the other options out there, and if so, why? I like the lifetime license, although I know I need to upgrade

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

I can't really answer that cause I haven't used any of the other ones. Have only ever used TeamViewer out of that list.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

Here we are using RemotelyAnywhere by LogMeIn. It works well, have a lot of features and is pretty easy to install/deploy/use.

https://secure.remotelyanywhere.com/template.asp?page=home

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

If you are using Linux, secure shell (SSH) is probably your best option if you can stand the lack of a GUI. Something called VNC rings a faint bell as well.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users