Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu fan quickly reaches a loud level for 2-3 seconds with every small task

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

I got a new cooler master tx3i to replace my i7 3770's stock cooler yesterday. I am noticing when i open up chrome or steam, until the process is complete, my temps go up to a point where my cpu speeds up the fans for 2-3 seconds. It has gotten very annoying. I idle around 35-40 and it goes to 75-ish under full load. Though, prime95 managed to bring it up to 95 itself. I am sure i applied the thermal paste correct, i used the pea method and it's covering a very sizable portion of the cpu.

I am kinda lost because i have no experience with coolers. Everything looks okay after a quick exam but it obviously isn't.

I know my hdd is faulty as it bottlenecks with every small task (Disk at %100), could that be the reason?

My specs:

Intel i7 3770 (non k)

Strix r9 380

8 gigs of Ram

Edit: Checked what's going on in OCCT. The temp really quickly reaches 55ish levels and then the fans fasten. I decided to play modded minecraft and the cpu usage was at %100 and the fans were not maxed but loud the entire time. I don't know if minecraft used %100 for me before because i never checked, but it sure as hell didn't speed up my fans this much with my stock cooler

Edited by Galaxystarr, 08 June 2016 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Sounds to be as if the cooler was not properly secured on the system, particularly if the system never experienced these problems before your changes.

I would simply remove it...and try again (after cleaning/removing all prior thermal grease), taking care that it's properly seated and I am using the appropriate amount of thermal grease.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

"...I know my hdd is faulty as it bottlenecks with every small task (Disk at %100), could that be the reason?..."

Yes, that is a reason for the Windows, rather than the HD, being faulty.  How large is your HD?  Roughly, how much of that total byte-space is occupied, not free-space?  Can you give us a WinTree of at least the 10 largest directories?

Others here may ask you to run MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy, however, I'll let them decide when and what logs.  I'm watching two cats in outdoor playpens that act like 1yrOlds, have to keep an eye on them.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 June 2016 - 06:02 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

"...I know my hdd is faulty as it bottlenecks with every small task (Disk at %100), could that be the reason?..."

Yes, that is a reason for the Windows, rather than the HD, being faulty.  How large is your HD?  Roughly, how much of that total byte-space is occupied, not free-space?  Can you give us a WinTree of at least the 10 largest directories?

Others here may ask you to run MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy, however, I'll let them decide when and what logs.  I'm watching two cats in outdoor playpens that act like 1yrOlds, have to keep an eye on them.

If this has nothing to do with my cpu heat spike, i would like to avoid it for now and tackle it once i solve this one. It's very late for me atm so i will try to re-seat my cooler tomorrow. (If it works, i can get back to it right away)

But to give answers regardless, my disk goes to %100 while doing small tasks, it's not the idle percentage. It's a Seagate 2tb model with 1.2 TB occupied and i was told to replace my hdd sooner or later by an expert as it failed a seatools LONG test.

Edited by Galaxystarr, 08 June 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

it failed a seatools LONG test.

That will not cause overheating, but that drive could fail an any moment. And....I do mean moment. If you have any data you value, back it up immediately and start checking around for a new drive. You might consider upgrading to an SSD.

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 June 2016 - 10:41 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

Sounds to be as if the cooler was not properly secured on the system, particularly if the system never experienced these problems before your changes.

I would simply remove it...and try again (after cleaning/removing all prior thermal grease), taking care that it's properly seated and I am using the appropriate amount of thermal grease.

Louis

I did the steps you mentioned yet i am still getting the same results. The cooling is fine, it just goes berserk over smallest tasks like chrome. It generally happens when the cpu load reaches %35+ and it speeds up the fans even if it's a 2 second task. Is there a way to make it go easy on the temperature? I wouldn't mind if the fans would stay at idle speeds until the cpu hit 70+.

it failed a seatools LONG test.

That will not cause overheating, but that drive could fail an any moment. And....I do mean moment. If you have any data you value, back it up immediately and start checking around for a new drive. You might consider upgrading to an SSD.

Yes i am aware of it. However the data i have has no value as i've been planning to do a full wipe for some time. I'm just going with the flow.

#7 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

I would much love to get some closure on this issue so if any of you guys have an idea i would be happy to hear it

Is small tasks such as opening chrome taking %20+ for a few seconds normal for an i7 3770? Is the tx3 reaching an audible level whenever the cpu is +%20 even for a second or two normal?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Others have already asserted...that the hard drive needs replacement.  Failing either a long or short diagnostic...is the drive's way of saying "I'm almost done, I may be done at any moment."

Louis

#9 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

Others have already asserted...that the hard drive needs replacement.  Failing either a long or short diagnostic...is the drive's way of saying "I'm almost done, I may be done at any moment."

Louis

I am pretty sure my hard drive has nothing to do with cpu fan speed and cooling as i have never had these problems with my stock cooler and the same hdd. I was looking for some closure on my cpu cooler reaching an audible level at %20 or more cpu load. 

Edit: And yes i acknowledge my HDD is faulty and needs to get replaced

Edited by Galaxystarr, 16 June 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Well...it seems perfectly logical to me...that a system that has trouble reading files on a dysfunctional hard drive...just might work harder than it should, resulting in possible overheated of CPU, overwork of fan, and so on.

I can't say that such has ever happened to me, but I can envision it.

Let's see what others think about your situation.

Louis

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

[rjs deleted, not needed]

Edited by RolandJS, 17 June 2016 - 11:46 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

With all due respect, i believe you are stretching my HDD issue to force an answer to my real problem. What you guys have said might be true, i am not an expert, but i was told in this very forum that "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." 

Now i do recognize not everything has to be a duck because it looks like one, but you guys have made no effort to prove it otherwise and went into the more extreme possibilities. 

I just want to know this:

-Is it normal for my cpu (i7 3770) to be under load for +%20 the first 2-3 seconds for small tasks such as opening chrome or steam?

-Is it normal for my cpu cooler (Cooler Master tx3i) which i believe is properly seated with thermal paste properly applied to reach an audible level whenever the cpu load is +%20 however short timed the load might be? (again, 2-3 seconds)

-If not, what are the possibilities other than my HDD?

-If this behavior is unnatural and you guys believe my cooler is okay, what are the odds a HDD replacement would fix the problem and what are some recommended SSHD's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users