Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many standoffs to install to case?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:06 AM

I own the NZXT phantom 820 case and it came with screws and the standoffs already built in.

Here is the white box that the case came with. http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/Package-03,0101-356583-0-2-3-1-jpg-.html (not my image, but is exactly the same box as mine)

After looking at many google images, I have come to the conclusion that the box left of the three empty boxes are the standoffs. I have even tried to screw them in the standoffs on the case and it seemed to fit.

However, there is only two standoffs while the case has much more standoffs? Am I doing something wrong or is this all the standoffs I need?

edit: I might be misunderstanding what standoffs is. Assuming that the standoffs in the white case are extras, what am I supposed to use to screw the mobo into the case?

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2016 - 05:16 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:32 AM

From what I can see you have correctly identified spare standoffs - although the image is not the best.

You generally use as many standoffs in the case as there are mounting holes in the motherboard. Sometimes there are mounting holes in the motherboard that do not line up with standoff holes in the case, in which case you do not fit standoffs for those holes. So you may need to remove some of the already fitted standoffs if they do not all line up with the motherboard mounting holes. I would expect a full ATX board to probably use about 9 standoffs (they can vary) & a micro ATX board might only require about 6.

After fitting the motherboard, if there are spare standoffs (& no nice white plastic case to store them in) I have sometimes used unused case standoff holes to store the spare standoffs - particularly if they are unique to the case or of unusual design.

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

what screws do I use to screw in my mobo to the standoffs?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

A close inspection of the MOBO manual should identify the mounting points and more importantly, which ones need to be grounded.  My builds use nylon standoffs and screws.  A small, flat,  braided wire where needed to provide the ground to those specific points.  Mount as many standoffs as there are holes in the MOBO that match points in the case.  Larger PCBs will grow and contract with heat so some close tolerance traces on the underside of the board can move some, enough to find a short when things get warmed up.

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

What screws do you use? - the simple & apparently facetious answer is "ones that fit" - there should have been a more than adequate quantity supplied with the case.

In over 30 years of PC building I have never felt the need to use plastic stand offs or grounding wires (except where a case was supplied with plastic standoffs) - the supplied hardware has always worked OK for me (& if you look in purchased machines - such as Dell - the standard metal fixings seem to work OK for them as well)

Edited by rqt, 08 June 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

I tried using all of the screws to test if they fit the standoffs. Three or more of them fit in fine so I have no clue which ones I should be using.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

All screws that work with standoffs should be short, standard M2 (or was it M3?) machine screws.

2 questions:
1. What form factor (ATX, mATX, mini-ITX, etc) is your mobo?
2. Are your standoffs plastic or metal?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Here is a picture of standard mainboard mounting screws. In the real world, any screw that fits the standoff threads, and snugs down on the mainboard mount hole will work. It doesn't make any difference, as long as the thread fits and it holds the board solid. These are not electrical connectors, just mechanical mounting hardware. That's all. The board is insulated at those connection points, so whether you use plastic or metal standoffs is irrelevant. In fact, I have had more success using metal standoffs because they don't break and bend like plastic ones do sometimes, but it really doesn't matter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB274850048&cm_re=mounting_screws-_-11-993-021-_-Product

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 June 2016 - 08:34 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users