Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Ignorance & Thanks for the Help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

Regarding my "drive removal" post. As I continued to research today, I "discovered" my entry into the world of Linux. I was shocked (embarrassed) to find when I created the partitions, unknown to me (til now evidently), a New Volume was created. The thread where I made today's discovery can be viewed over at the Kubuntu forum (see link below). So to those who viewed the thread and to those who were helping me, I give you my sincerest Thanks and apology. You are all encouraged to laugh along with me. Thanks folks.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?68925-Partitioning-for-Kubuntu

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:21 AM

You've got me confused - link you provide links to a thread with 4 pages, 40 entries, dated 20/12/15 - is that correct?

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

I think he meant to post a link to this thread:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?70318-Can-t-Remove-Drive

This would be the relevant post:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?70318-Can-t-Remove-Drive&p=388991&viewfull=1#post388991

...which happens to contain a link to the thread he posted a link to in the OP.

#4 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Al1000, that's it.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

Likewise, thanks Al.

And as for -

...I give you my sincerest Thanks and apology. You are all encouraged to laugh along with me. Thanks folks.

Where are our manners? I am sure you are most welcome, and we can share a laugh with you and not at you.

Enjoy Linux

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

Amen !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks guys. I really messed it up today. I should go back to a rotary phone and smoke signals. Thanks again.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Done !

2wd0ocj.jpg

...9i7ccw.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hadn't even got going good yet. :killcomp:

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

@bamashooter:

This Topic (depending on the Mods) may have to move soon, or else be closed, unless it incorporates further technical issues.

That is a matter for staff to determine, but if moved elsewhere eg General, you have a few subscribers now if you wish to pursue your train of thought.

As for my two cents? -

Any action or move to expand your horizons, to see possibilities outside of the biggest Distro in the world, to exploring the home of the biggest number of Distros in the world ... is to be commended.

Take a look at Brian's (Condobloke's) (new) signature. For inspiration. I followed a similar path two years ago, after 25 years with M$, and a number of others here have, too.

I look forward to hearing of your continued adventures with Linux, and we don't treat people like pariahs if they wish to dual-boot, lol.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

Note to self - gotta get me a cerebral signature like Brian's.

#11 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks. I just wanted to bring folks up to date with that particular issue and to thank everyone for their replies. What I didn't like was for folks who were kind enough to want to help yet as it turned out, there was no problem at all; only my ignorance of Linux. I really like my Kubuntu 14.04 but boy, I am lost in the dark with it. The thread can be moved or closed, just felt the need to create the short thread.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Kubuntu 14.04 is a beast, a lot for a beginner.  "Mint Mate" or "Mint KDE" might be better if you even decide to change.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:01 PM

Try not to let the situation develop where you become disillusioned with the whole 'linux' thing......it is easy to just drop it and head back to windows.

If you are thinking that way (i did when i attempted to run peppermint 6)....simply "flick" the current 'distro'(kub14.04) and head for something that will have a slightly more familiar feel to it.....pcpunks suggestions are cool...mebbe even linux mint (I have linux mint cinnamon)

You will know you are 'at home' when the distro feels like second nature....and sound problems and printer problems etc ... just do not happen

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

"Mint Mate" or "Mint KDE" might be better if you even decide to change.

+1

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

Kubuntu 14.04 is a beast, a lot for a beginner.  "Mint Mate" or "Mint KDE" might be better if you even decide to change.

+1 too !

(Closely followed by linux mint Cinnamon)

(get the hint?...we're trying to tell you where to go....nicely !!)

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users