Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KDogg

KDogg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:48 AM

I have two hard drives in my computer, one as a master and the other as a slave. After being infected with a virus, one drive crashed (I think I may have accidentally cleaned out something that shouldn't have been cleaned). So, in an attempt to save the information on the drive, I switched the two around. For a short time, I was able to access all the data and files on the infected drive, but then it came back as inaccessible.

Currently, the drive is listed whenever I click on the My Computer icon. But whenever I try to access it I get the message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Is there a way to fix this, even temporarily, to retrieve the data before reformatting it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KDogg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

Didi you set the jumpers on the drives appropriately?

Does it boot into Windows on the master drive and have you made sure there are no viruses anywhere in both drives?

#3 KDogg

KDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

The jumpers are correct. After I was unable to boot from the drive, I switched them around and booted from the other drive. I was then able to access the drive. I couldn't figure out exactly what went wrong, so I intended to retrieve all the data from it, reformat, and reinstall everything. But when I got ready to do that I got the "drive not accessible" messages.

The current master is free of viruses, but I can't even scan the other one to be sure if it's cleared or not. I have no idea why this happened, as I made no changes to the drive after switching it from master to slave, nor did I move any programs or data from it before it crashed. When I open the My Computer link it shows the drive as present, and it also shows up when the computer is first turned on. I just can't access it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users