Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helping Grandson Build a Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

I'm not sure how it happens, but over the last ten years or so, I've got a garage partially full of computers.  When my company upgraded, I picked up several Dells, I've got a couple of HP's and two or three others that have no names from when I had them built by a consultant.  My grandson is getting interested in computers and we have watched a few youtube presentations of computer building.

So, here's my question.  If we disassemble the computers, how would one sort through the various motherboards and select the best one.  Same with the CPU's etc.  I have dozens of hard drives and even a spare SSD (250Gb).

I've built three computers for family using new everything, but I want him to build his own as we explore options and create something basically out of discards.

Any advice/guidance will be appreciated.  Especially if someone can recommend a way to get motherboard schematics, etc. online.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

The motherboards will all have their model number printed on them. (or sometimes stuck on with a sticker) With this information you will be able to search the internet and discover the properties and cpu socket type for each. The CPU's will also have their model type printed on them, which if you also search online you will be able to discover which socket they fit. With this information you will be able to match the best out of what you have lying around.

RAM is another issue, but if you separate the DDR3 from the DDR2 type motherboards, then just look at the DDR3 boards you should be able to gather all the parts you need fairly quickly to put something that works together.

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 07 June 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

If we're dealing with older generation motherboards, is it much of an advantage to use an extra SSD?  Will an 8-10 old part even work with an SSD?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

Sure it'll work as long as the connection is SATA, and there will be an advantage.

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:10 PM

Cool, my grandson is going to spend a week here next week.  We'll "sharpen" our screwdrivers.  Thanks for sharing

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:18 PM

You're very welcome. Have fun!

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users