Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HitmanPro and HitmanAlert - alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

Guys, gals, wifey and I are beginning to enter a few lean years patch.  I'm not renewing many software licenses.  Are there real good free alternatives to HitmanPro and HitmanAlert?

So far, the only pay-for programs I plan to renew are Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Avira Anti-Virus.

Gone are: Comodo Internet Security, Avast Anti-virus Pr[whatchacallit], Spybot Search & Destroy, SUPERAntispyware, the payfor portion of SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

I may install free versions of MBAM & MBAE -- would these two kinda sorta take the place of HitmanPro and Hitman Alert?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

I may install free versions of MBAM & MBAE -- would these two kinda sorta take the place of HitmanPro and Hitman Alert?

Not really since they work differently and the free version of MBAM does not include any real-time protection so it essentially becomes a standalone scanner. MBAE is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

HitmanPro.Alert checks browser integrity and alerts users when malware has intruded the browser. HitmanPro.Alert runs as a service and warns if the browser has been compromised and is unsafe to use for online banking or shopping. The alert will not block the malware itself from installing since the program is not designed to be an anti-virus or anti-malware tool. If suspicious behavior is detected, HitmanPro.Alert's CryptoGuard will block it...including the encryption of files. CryptoGuard is actually the name of the kernel driver component installed by HitmanPro.Alert that mitigates a crypto-ransomware attack...it is a filter driver which monitors the file system and looks for suspicious file operations at the file system level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the process's ability to rename, write or delete files is blocked and an Alert is presented to warn the user. So even while ransomware is active, CryptoGuard protects all documents and files on the computer and will block crypto attacks against them. To remove the malware infection, you have to download and run HitManPro or another anti-malware scanner.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta could be used as a temporary alternative but at some point it is supposed to be incorporated into MBAM.

You might want to check out Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware (Crypto-Ransomware Vaccine)

Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware (released in March 2016) is the vendor's new vaccine tool which is supposed to protect against known and possible future versions of crypto ransomware families by exploiting flaws in their spreading methods...it is an outgrowth of the Cryptowall vaccine program which was discontinued.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

I have lifetime licenses for all BillP/Ruiware products:  WinPatrol, TaskCatcher, WinPrivacy and WinAntiRansom.  Would WinAntiRansom's operations kinda sorta replace Hitman's CryptoGuard operations?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

WinAntiRansom blocks ransomware before it can encrypt data by using a combination of whitelisting, artificial intelligence algorithms and definitions (Smart Recognition) provided though a layered approach of features.
  • Auto Discovery automatically fills the Programs page with programs it discovers and automatically whitelists all known safe programs.
  • Access History provides a list of all files/folders opened by programs not considered safe and not allowed to access the SafeZone.
  • PreEmptive Strike provides information about every time it blocked a program from running.
  • SafeZone prevents ransomware from manipulating documents, photos, music, etc.
  • Network Lockdown provides information when a non-approved program attempts to access files on a network.
  • Registry protection protects important Registry keys from being manipulated by ransomware.
However, I do not know anyone who has personally tested it's protection.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

Let's assume that both WinAntiRansom operations and HitmanPro's CryptoGuard operations are aok,

would WinAntiRansom's operations replace Hitman's CryptoGuard operations?

Edited by RolandJS, 08 June 2016 - 04:58 AM.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

Simple i think , as i do - Avast Free . Windows Firewall , Ad Blocker Plus , and safe Surfing Skills .

Never Paid for Antivirus or anything else in over 10 yrs , and sometimes use Malwarebytes Free other freebies available..JRT/ Adaware when im curious.

I have an Image of the Drive and Offline Personal Files done daily....so not worried if it goes PearShaped...so far so good last 7 yrs.

Yet for the unweary / novices - paid versions are a benefit and ok , but bad surfing habits or Attachments eventually catch them out.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

CryptoGuard looks for suspicious behavior at the file system level and when detected, blocks the process's ability to rename, write or delete files. WinAntiRansom's PreEmptive Strike sounds like it works similarly but they do not provide enough specific information as to how it actually works.

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi:

@quietman7 is correct about MBAM Free: it is only a standalone, manual scanner for cleanup after the fact.  You need the paid version (Premium) for realtime protection.  {There is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction and a discount for purchasing a 2-year subscription.  Overall, this works out to less than pennies a day per computer and cheaper than recovering from ransomware, identity theft or major malware meltdown. JMHO}

MBAE Free provides realtime protection for browsers and plug-ins.

MBAE Premium can be configured to shield any internet-facing application.  AFAIK, there is no discounted MBAM+MBAE bundle for Consumers, but MBAE also offers a discount for multiple subscriptions purchased at the same transaction.

HTH,

MM (entirely unaffiliated with Malwarebytes)

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

If I must say, you already have the paid version of Emsisoft AM. Add MBAE Free to cover exploit protection (as Emsisoft does not yet have that), safe surfing, an ad blocker on your browser and you are all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users