Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to wifi at some hotels and able to with many others

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm unable to connect with some Hotel wifi's but many others there's not an issue. The hotels where I can not connect sees the wifi and says it connects, but the browse and everything else says it's not connected. When connected to many Hotels a splash page will appear for acknowledgements or passwords, but no splash pages appear when I can not connect. I have not updated or know that I need to update my wifi drivers, but the Hotels I'm having issues with are not the ones with the newest routers and my home wifi is the latest technology.

I've had issues in the past and I do not remember any of the solutions. Would flushing the DNS help? I'm running Win 8.1.

Thank you

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2016 - 08:38 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Some of it will depend how the hotel manages their network. Some use passwords, some use splash screens and some just have open networks. Some splash redirects don't work right away and take a couple minuets to come up. specially if its a small hotel and its check in time. Other redirects don't work with some browsers like Chrome. Last, try manually entering in a website in the address bar to trigger the redirect. 

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thanks, I just disconnected the ethernet cable I'm using in this hotel, and opened IE looking for a splash screen, since the wifi was connected, received "this page can't be displayed", disconnected and reconnect wifi and received the same message.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:34 PM

Thanks, I just disconnected the ethernet cable I'm using in this hotel, and opened IE looking for a splash screen, since the wifi was connected, received "this page can't be displayed", disconnected and reconnect wifi and received the same message.

Are you sure your connected to the hotel's wifi for guests? Are you getting a normal IP with all it's settings (gateway, dns, etc)? Maybe the AP your wired to can only give 1 IP out and there for the wireless won't work? I would suggest contacting the Hotels's hospitality and see what normal procedure is. When I worked for Wifi hospitality in Vegas we would sometimes have to manually whitelist the MAC address of the second device. Usually the smaller hotels that had the more limited(cheaper) systems. One trick is to clone the mac address of the first device to the second device. See link below on how.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-mac-address-in-windows

#5 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

I've stood at the front desk of several of the hotels following their instructions again to double check and be as close to the routers as possible. Many of the smaller hotels do not offer the tech service for wifi issues and I can't wait to see if  it works. I have been whitelisted at several locations to solve the wifi issue.

Thanks

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

People at the front desk are generally clueless. Comes down to if you can't get their Wifi to work, don't pay for it. There isn't going to be one trick, since every system is a little different.Is there anything in the room for a group to call besides the front desk?  Also, you didn't answer any of my other questions.

#7 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Agree about people at front desk. I'm not sure if I'm getting a normal IP with all it's settings (gateway, dns, etc). Not sure how to check. The reason I think I'm connected is because I receive the same "connected" message that I receive in other hotels, etc. where the connection works. Also, the routers are supposed to work with many users.

Thanks

#8 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Also, this probably doesn't matter, but I've been accessing this hotels network using an ethernet cord when the wifi that was "connected" won't work and I tried 2 different browser for the splash screen.

Thanks

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

Also, this probably doesn't matter, but I've been accessing this hotels network using an ethernet cord when the wifi that was "connected" won't work and I tried 2 different browser for the splash screen.

Thanks

Did the wired connection give you a splash screen before connecting? If front desk is useless, try asking other people staying there? Have you EVER connected wired and wireless at the same time at that hotel? Need to first see what is normal before we even know what is "broken". 

Also, what OS are you running? If windows you can type IPconfig from command prompt or right click on wireless network icon and left click on status > details. 

#10 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

When I can connect I usually receive a splash screen. Normally when not able to connect, I do not receive a splash screen.

Running Win 8.1. 

I hope this answers your question

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapte

Client for MS Networks

File and Printer Sharing

Qos Packet Scheduler

Linklayer (2 of them)

Internet Protocol 6 and 

Internet Protocol 4

Thank you for your help

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

No. Looking for IP info. Google how to find IP for your OS? 

Eitherway, this is sounding more like a hotel problem. Their registry system is probably just cheap/bad and getting backed up. This will be my last post. Good luck.

#12 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

IP4v 912.168.0.212

Thanks

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

IP4v 912.168.0.212

Thanks

Since all these numbers must be 255 or less, I assume you meant 192.168.0.212 instead of 912.168.0.212.  Otherwise what you posted makes no sense.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Yes, thanks. I just downloaded and ran the drivers from the Asus support website and now:

Wireless Lan:

DNS Suffix 2601:cf:4500:3440::1

2601:cf:4500:3440:3d38:27dd:786b:a1ee

Link local IPv6 fe80:907:c1b2:8fd7:37673

Ipv4 Address 255.255.255.0

Thank you for your help. Seems the file from support upgraded me from IP4 to IP6

#15 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

I "updated" the drivers and after running the Manual Diagnostic Tool for the Hardware Test "Wireless Hardware is not bound to transport driver"

I am home and have been using my wireless connection through the upgrade and after.

Thank you, I am very ignorant with network connections, etc. 

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users