Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 - Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant stuck at 99%

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 huntu

huntu

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys, I'm having a pretty annoying problem here. I've tried this a few times already, but it always ends up the same.

A little background: 

- I recently built my own computer with a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate. New everything, except a used GPU and RAM. I've already downloaded and installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Now onto the problem:

- The past few days, I've been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 SP1 so I can have W10 before the deadline in July. Unfortunately, this isn't working because it gets stuck at 99% in the installing page. It's been quite frustrating because I really just don't know what to do. Today, I started the download at 1pm EST and it's currently 7pm EST, with the 99% being stuck for at least 2 hours. Attached is a picture of the error.

I'd really appreciate someone's help, thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arnvanhal3n

arnvanhal3n

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hi!  I see that you're having problems upgrading to Windows 10.  Instead of upgrading it through Windows Update, I suggest you upgrade it using the Media Creation Tool.  

Check out this link:  http://www.supportrix.com/kb/how-to-troubleshoot-the-something-happened-error-message-when-upgrading-to-windows-10/

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:48 AM

2 hours isn't an unusually long time.

I've seen one that was as quickly as 50 minutes but another one as long as 22 hours.

In your case you were at 99% at 2 hours yesterday at 7 PM

If you didn't interrupt the process but it still hasn't completed, let it continue for the time being

There might be something the upgrade process to save whatever is supposed to save it doesn't like and you should be prompted to return to your previous OS

I'm hoping your system has completed the upgrade by now but wait it out if you can.

One of my friends had a similar issue but opted not to return to his prior OS and somehow was able to select not to save his data & stuff saved and the computer upgraded just fine in 4 hours.

He told me all he had to do is reinstall a couple of applications which I don't recall at this time but he had his Windows up & running the way he wanted to in about 30 minutes and the upgrade was completed.

BTW, he told me he used the MCT.

#4 flatbear

flatbear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

I have the same problem on an old dell desktop.  Its been stuck at the 99% for some time.  I tried restarting but then it insisted on redownloading everything all over again and is now stuck at 99% again.  

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

huntu how's it going? I suspect the upgrade didn't complete and you have reverted back to your previous OS.

I'd like to recommend you create a system image backup as well as your important data.

Please post back on the status

#6 userw6803

userw6803

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

I was not successful upgrading using the direct download Upgrade Now button. It appeared to be working well, but then posted an error Ox80070057. Researched it and decided to use the Media Creation Tool download button to a flash drive. The MCT took 30 minutes to complete. Then opened the flash via File Explorer, My Computer, and clicking on the flash drive opening it's files. Clicked on "setup.exe" and the Anniversary Update began downloading. Took about one hour and completed without a problem. Many are saying the MCT is the way to go for problem downloads. Try it maybe you will like it too!

#7 Beano8U

Beano8U

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

Tell you what. I am going to get angry. Cant get it to work. Got it to work on an older systtem after alot of frustration. Then videoed my throwing the pc at a wall in response for Francis from Boogie Plays Games. Will air it if I get enough requests via his channel.

End of the day, what a bleep headache. Most can install, no worries. WTF. Microsoft, just want to bleep me in the arse or what. They are bleep bleep arse sucking bleeps

#8 Beano8U

Beano8U

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Bleep

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

Disable Windows Update service see that will help.
Open the Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator.

Type below commands one at time to disable Windows Update and stop Windows Update service:

sc config wuauserv start= disabled

sc stop wuauserv 

Posted Image

#10 huntu

huntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

Oh wow, I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond. I left this account for a long time and had forgotten I had it. My apologies.

I was able to update it with some struggle. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know I was able to update it within the next day or so.

Edited by huntu, 12 March 2017 - 01:58 AM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Nice to hear your issue resolved, thank you for letting us know!

Posted Image

#12 SophieVance762ga

SophieVance762ga

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

Use System Restore
If your computer still isn’t responding when installing updates, you can run a System Restore. This will revert your PC to an earlier point in time.

To access System Restore, simply type System Restore into the search bar and select “Create a restore point”, which will take you to System Protection in the System Properties window. From System Restore you can pick an appropriate point to revert to.

Windows system restore
Once you've returned to earlier restore point, try installing the updates again as normal.
check for further information here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users