Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD Vanilla Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys, I’m in the process of setting up my Clean Vanilla Install of Windows 7 Home Premium to the Toshiba in my Signature, on a new Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD.  All went pretty well until I tried using Driver Magician to install the drivers from the original OEM Install.  I did this partly because the Graphics Driver is not available at the Toshiba Site that I can see and not at the AMD ATI Site either: http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2520796

It seems that the AMD ATI Graphics Driver did not want to install from “Driver Magician”.  So in my ignorance I did a Google search with the Speccy listing for the Graphics Card, and not the actual driver Version.  That led me to this site and looked like what I needed so I installed it, but the driver version was a little newer and don’t work all that well.  It also led to the download and install of the “AMD ATI Catalyst Software”, which I don’t think I need nor want.  Tried using Revo to get rid of it but it don’t show up in the list, nor do I see a built in uninstaller.  I do see now that it is in the “Programs and Features” so I guess I will Uninstall with that.

I don’t quite understand how this Catalyst Software works and if I can safely remove it without removing the driver.  It also doesn’t present any option to Change Drivers?  If I do remove it, should I revert to the stock Vanilla driver first, so as not to loose Graphics?

I downloaded the third one down for windows 7-64bit.  This is the one that installed the “AMD ATI Catalyst Control Center”

http://www.driverscape.com/download/amd-m860g-with-ati-mobility-radeon-4100

Here is the Help Page for the “ATI Catalyst™ Control Center” that was installed during the driver install

EDIT: Link does not work for the html

Also, I have a Disk with the Toshiba Setup Software - not Swsetup file.  I tried the Toshiba OEM driver Installer from the Disk and it would not install.  I did not create this disk so cannot tell you much about it, It’s just the built in App and Driver Backup Device I think.  All the drivers are included with this Disk, but they are not labeled in a way that I can understand, and there are many of them.  They need to be opened almost to the point of install to see what they are.

I Recently downloaded another driver from the below site and it is the right Version, but am afraid it will also install stuff I don’t want, some Driver Installer Software.  This one is the correct Version, the site seems legit, and scanned the driver after download.

http://www.drivermax.com/driver/update/DISPLAY/ATI-Technologies-Inc./AMD-M860G-with-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-4100/356640

I was hoping to avoid re-installing the old HDD to see if there is a Swsetup File that I could Copy the driver from, but if this is the best thing to do that is what I will do next.  I’m really just a little lost as the best move to make now.  I wonder if the Driver needs to be Uninstalled before it can be installed in the way I’m trying, and if this is something to do with AMD ATI Stuff?

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 07 June 2016 - 04:41 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

I should add, that when I try to install a driver via Device Manager Windows tells me that it has determined that I already have the best driver?  How do I remedy this?  I did research it but worried to loose Graphics if I Uninstall the Video Driver.  Then if the driver I have don't work I will be hose'd.  I should add that I found the Original Driver for AMD Video on Toshiba "Drivers and Applications" DVD.  It took a long time to find it and don't even know if it will work via. the Device Manager because of the format it came from.  Device Manager says the above when I try to install it: "Windows tells me that it has determined that I already have the best driver"

Edited by pcpunk, 07 June 2016 - 07:36 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

What's up, getting no love here at my home bc.com lol.  Feeling a little ostracized lol. 

No AMD ATI users out there?

I got the Original Driver installed but still having some "Screen Tearing" for lack of a better term.  This only seems to happen when on a website.  Don't know why, it never happened with the OEM Install?  Again, this is the Driver I'm using in the link below, but I got it from the Toshiba Recovery DVD Set.  Arrrrgggg. please help!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

I have another issue with Windows Activation.  It appears that my Product Key did not work, probably because I used a Vanilla iso Install? I don't know.  I will leave a couple of pics to confirm what I am seeing.

pwwsRTk.png

Then I get this when choosing "Activate Windows now"  Don't know what to do from here?

hvsO4bE.png

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 09 June 2016 - 01:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

Okay all activated, the Product Key from the tool I used to extract it was wrong.  This was because the old drive was from another computer.  I forgot about this because this is a used laptop.  I re-installed using the OEM Original Recovery Disks so thought that this would include the Product Key.  I took the one off the bottom of Laptop and it worked, who'ed a thought?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users