Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Recovery, cannot auto repair W10 after update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MWhiteside

MWhiteside

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

1.  Windows 10 upgrade completed and computer worked OK until it ran automatic updates.

2.  Now system tries auto repair at startup, cannot repair, then gives option to troubleshoot.

3.  System restore not an option.

4.  Go Back to previous build will not work.

5.  Reset of PC will not work.

Assume I will need to reinstall to factory default, but first need to copy user files.

1.  When going to command prompt, users, I only see public user so I don't see user documents to copy.

Right now main problem is to save user files and then reimage.

Does anyone have ideas of how best to copy user files so that I can move on with factory recovery.

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2016 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Download Fatdog64. Burn the iso to disk by right clicking on a Windows 7 and later computer and selecting burn disk image. You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Backup any data on the flash drive first. Depending on your computer, attach the flash drive and tap the key to bring up the boot menu and select the flash drive or DVD drive.

At the Fatdog64 desktop you will see your hard drive partitions in the lower left labeled sda1..sda2..etc. Clicking once on the sdaX icon will open a File Manager. If you do not see your Windows files close out the window and select another sdaX partition. For Windows 10 the partition may be sda3. 

Once you have selected the correct partition attach a USB flash or external drive to the computer. A USB icon will appear next your DVD drive if you have one. Click once on it to mount and open another File Manager Window. Drag and move both windows until they are side by side. You can resize the windows by left clicking and dragging a corner.

Highlight the files/folders you wish to copy by holding the Ctrl key + left clicking. You can also Left Click and Window around the files/folders. Once you have highlighted your files/folders drag them from the HDD Window to the USB external Window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the Quiet box.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

Edit: you only need to click once to open any folder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 June 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#3 MWhiteside

MWhiteside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I tried this but could not find any data on the drives that was useful.  Are you by chance familiar with this error?  This computer was running OK with Windows 10, but then ran an update and after restarting said that it was "attempting repairs".  It then indicated that repairs could not be made and went to a blue troubleshooting screen.  I tried all the options that were available but no luck.  It's almost as if the disk drive became corrupted during the update.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

I am not that familiar with Windows 10 but people have had issues after major updates. I am not a huge fan of Windows 10 at the moment. Maybe things will get better down the road. I do know that by default Windows 10 updates drivers during the update which I do not agree with. That setting should be disabled by default.

I would download the Windows 10 media creation tool and do a clean install but you would need to reinstall any programs.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Clean installs vs an OS upgrade is the preferred way.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

I would go to the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool site and create the bootable install media of your choice then try using that to do a system reset, which it does support.  This will often work and if you haven't tried it that way then that's what I'd go for first.

If you do not want Microsoft to update device drivers:  Do a search on "Device Installation Settings" in the Cortana/Windows Search box and the actual settings dialog for that should be the first thing returned.  Change the default "Yes" radio button to the "No" choice.  Even though Microsoft is not mentioned explicitly here, this is the successor of a dialog that used to allow you to turn the Microsoft update function off and that "turn off" appears to have been integrated as part of the "No" choice.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users