Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old HDD now only appears as "system reserved"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rch427

rch427

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

About 8 months ago, the motherboard on my desktop developed problems and failed.  I pulled out the HDD, trashed the tower, and switched over to using my laptop.  In the interim, my wife was diagnosed with stage-IV cancer, was in and out of the hospital, and I became her full-time caregiver.  She died last month and I haven't had a chance to do anything with the old HDD until now.

Today, I finally plugged the old HDD into a Unitek USB3 to SATA converter, and plugged that into the USB port on my laptop, hoping to be able to access and transfer the files.  (I had already done this successfully with a couple of other old HDDs.)  Unfortunately, the drive now only reads as E: "system reserved".  It's a 2TB drive (Seagate Barracuda LP), and IIRC, it has at least 500GB of my files on it, including irreplaceable photos of my wife over the past 6 years.  And yet when I look at the drive's properties, it supposedly has 99MB total space with 78MB used and 21MB free.

I get that "system reserved" is a partition that is intended to hold vital boot-up code or whatever.  But it's extremely frustrating that it is all that shows up.  Can anyone advise me on how to get into the rest of the drive without endangering any of the files on it?

I believe that the old desktop was running Windows 7, if that matters.  I've attached some photos of the menus that I see.

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2016 - 04:35 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry for your lost.

• Press windows8_key.png + X to access the Menu and click Disk Management
  • Expand the Disk Manager window to show all the blocks of the external drive
  • Post a screenshot of the window please

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rch427

rch427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thank you, SleepyDude. 

Here's the screenshot you asked for:

Hi,

I'm sorry for your lost.

• Press windows8_key.png + X to access the Menu and click Disk Management
  • Expand the Disk Manager window to show all the blocks of the external drive
  • Post a screenshot of the window please

Attached Files

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

right-click on the 1800 unallocated and assign it a drive letter and you should be good to go after a reboot

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 07 June 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Not,
What has happened is your partition tables have gotten messed up and its a 50/50 crap shoot as to whether the drive has problems or the failing system caused it.
First, get the trial version of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro version, install it, run it, and point it at the 2TB drive using the pull-down menu. Go to the Health tab and check the data column of (05) Reallocated yada and (C5) Pending yada. If the data is anything BUT ZERO, the drive is failing and DO NOT let anyone talk you into using any utility that writes on the drive; it will only get worse....
If you want to be thorough, go to the Error Scan tab and click Start. It will take many hours; but, you want to see all green boxes. Even one red one is big trouble.
Write back with HDTune's findings.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

For the look of it seems that the partition is missing!

Whatever you do don't write nothing on the drive if you want to try recover your data!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

My suggestion is to install Easeus Data Recovery Free to see if the program can find your data on the missing partition.

The free version is limited but should give you the idea if the program can recover the data or not.

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 June 2016 - 04:16 PM.

___
Rui

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

SleepyDude,
The reason I like HDTune is that it refuses to write on a drive unless you delete all of the partitions using some other utility beforehand and I want to hear about his SMART status.
Given what he has said, I'll try to walk him though a sector clone to a replacement if it is failing and, while EASEUS is good, TestDisk is better (even if it is a little more arcane to use).

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

Minitools Partition Wizard has a Partition Recovery Wizard that can repair the partition table. I would only do the Quick Search. Double click any partitions it finds. If you see your files then place a check mark next to each partition. Click Finish then apply. It would be best to post a screen shot of Partition Wizard after the Quick Search first before doing a recovery.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

If Quick Search finds nothing do not do a Full Search. You would be better using TestDisk which has a better chance of partition recovery using Deeper Search. You do not need to write anything using TestDisk. If it detects your partitions and lists your files then you can easily copy them to your internal drive. If Partition Wizard does not detect your partitions using Quick Search or you cannot see your files by double clicking the partitions found exit out of Partition Wizard.

If you decide to go with Testdisk post back and I can give further instructions.

Edit: I would first test the drive as DavisMcCarn suggested. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 June 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

Not,
What has happened is your partition tables have gotten messed up and its a 50/50 crap shoot as to whether the drive has problems or the failing system caused it.
First, get the trial version of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro version, install it, run it, and point it at the 2TB drive using the pull-down menu. Go to the Health tab and check the data column of (05) Reallocated yada and (C5) Pending yada. If the data is anything BUT ZERO, the drive is failing and DO NOT let anyone talk you into using any utility that writes on the drive; it will only get worse....
If you want to be thorough, go to the Error Scan tab and click Start. It will take many hours; but, you want to see all green boxes. Even one red one is big trouble.
Write back with HDTune's findings.

The problem with running a full test scan on a bad drive is that it can kill the disk if it is dying.

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 June 2016 - 04:45 PM.

___
Rui

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

True; but, that is the rare exception and I will always stop the error scan after the first red box.  95% of the time, the big mistake is that someone tries CHKDSK /R which is asking for deep kimchi!

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

John, Daniel, SleepyDude, Davis:

Would it be possible to do an external boot with a cloning utility and make, sector-by-sector, from Track Zero to Last Track, from first cluster to last cluster, a clone of the problem hard-drive onto another equal size or larger new hard-drive?  I ask 'cause over in hddguru.com [or similar place] I think I read that somebody cloned like that, and then was able to "recover" the files using the new hard-drive.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 June 2016 - 06:23 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Personally, because of the importance of the data, I would immediately stop the drive test if HDtune threw a red box as DavisMcCarn posted and look at consulting a professional data recovery service such as Drivesavers. Recovery is not cheap but what are the OP's wife's photos worth? 

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

...look at consulting a professional data recovery service such as Drivesavers...what are the OP's wife's photos worth [!A LOT!]?   --rjs added

JohnC, would my cloning idea posted above be something to consider?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

If the drive was not found to be defective I would not bother doing the clone and concentrate on recovering the data first. You could sector by sector clone drive to drive as you suggested but in that situation I would prefer to clone to an image using ddrescue on a linux distro and then carve the image with PhotoRec to recover any data. Testdisk can also be used on the image. This has the advantage of being able to use a recovery external drive with the required free space even though it may have data on it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users