Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall xp pro but will not boot from cd

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bujezzas

Bujezzas

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

I am helping someone fix their computer and have a xp pro cd I want to completely reinstall xp but the cd rom will not boot .. If I try to reinstall from within Windows do I can only do a repair.. I have selected the cd rom in the bios options but it will still not boot.. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

It may be possible to boot from a USB flash drive if the computer supports it. You can create an iso from the install disk using Imgburn then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. Backup any data on your flash drive as it will be erased.

Edit: I recommend a read speed of no faster than 4X when creating the iso.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 June 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

If it's a valid XP install CD and it doesn't spin up at boot...I would clean the disk with water and a soft/cotton cloth, drying it in straight lines (no circular motions).

If the disk is a repair/restore disk of any sort...then I might expect the non-reaction described.

Louis

#4 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will try a usb and see if that picks up .. The disc definitely works as it allows me to run a repair (which I tried first to see if it improved things.. Nope, hence the need to run it at startup)

#5 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

Ok made a bootable USB with Windows xp iso on it but it still will not install Windows says no boot file name received

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

What is the make and model of the computer. In BIOS does it let you set USB flash or key as first boot device? If USB is set as first boot device then try the following.

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso to disk or create a bootable USB flash drive. Do a disk wipe zero fill quick. Create a NTFS partition primary and make it Active

Boot the XP USB disk.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do not complete until Apply is clicked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#7 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

While I try that stuff out... It's a gateway 310 xl it has a cd rom and a separate DVD rom as well as a sub in front... The boot sequence is a little odd as it has the DVD first but shows the model number of it then the model of the hard drive then this ... iba 4.1.08 slot 0140 Which I hope is the USB port ...

Edit: auto correct likes to change usb to sub... Sorry

Edited by Bujezzas, 09 June 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

At boot tap Esc or F10 and see if it brings up a boot menu. I don't thin slot 0140 is a USB port. The disk should boot from either the CD or DVD drive.I did a search of iba 4.1.08 and didn't find anything.

Edit: It is not USB.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/hey-guys-what-is-this-iba-in-bios.139941/

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#9 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Yes then it does not list the cd either so I basically need to make a bootable DVD with all the windows programs and then press f10 on boot up to get it to boot from the DVD drive... To do that I just need to add a boot.ima? Or do I need a program to make that.. I have all files from the iso in a file on the desktop other than that one

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

If the install CD is bootable the DVD drive should be able to boot it unless this is a very old DVD drive then I wouldn't know. See my post #2. You can create a bootable iso using Imgburn then burn the iso to DVD.

#11 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

Nope that didn't work either I selected the DVD drive sm-hl-dt-stdvd-rom gdr8162b but it didn't even get me that message.. Is there a way I can boot something.. Anything to get me to an a: prompt? All I need do then is just run the DVD manually from there right?

#12 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Or is there any other method I can use to get there? If I can get to that point I'm fine it's just driving me nuts right now

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

How did you burn the iso of Partition Wizard? Right click > Burn Disk Image? The disk has numerous files on it rather than one file with an iso extension, correct?

If you cannot boot a CD, DVD, or USB then I am out of ideas on this one, sorry?

#14 Bujezzas

Bujezzas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Yes there are many many files on there not just one iso file.. I think I will patch it up as best I can and hand it back suggesting they get a new PC. It seems nothing will boot it up then. I thank you for your time and trouble

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

No problem. Good Luck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users