Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Usb Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zeusxp

zeusxp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

ok a few weeks ago there was a storm and a blackout in my area, a few hours later when i turned on my computer non of my usb ports work (mouse, keyboard, cam)they were all out!. now windows tells me that everything is fine with the usb ports it just won't detect anything. i reinstall all drivers did every troubleshooter i could find, i've pluged my cam in another computer and is fine. so i connected an extra set of usb on my motherboard but they don't seem to work neither. now i think is the power supply which got fried and not my motherboard
(at least i like to think that)so tomorrow i'll buy a power suplly to try and solve the problem, if not then i'll have to buy a new motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

Hi zeusxp, welcome to BC.
Those are two definete possibilities, though given a choice between the two, I'm leaning towards the motherboard myself. :thumbsup:
Asus in particular had a real problem with the southbridge getting fried on some of it mainboards resulting in dead usb ports. I wouldn't start right off with any HW though if everything else powers up.
A missing or damaged .dll file, among others, will also cause the same issue.
Since you really should reformat after a new motherboard installation, I'd do that first just to rule out OS corruption. For me it's simple as I keep complete system backups on individual drives. I don't know what your backup situation is though. Using the Windows system restore function in this case wouldn't be a reliable indicator. You might also consider a seperate usb card installation though if it's the motherboard, I'd be wondering what else is going to happen.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Try reinstalling the hubs as well as the ports.

Open your device mamager and delete everything in the USB section, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users