Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Monitor completely black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mchirico

mchirico

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

System:

Dell Latitude E5540

Windows 10 64 bit

CPU: Intel Core i5-4310U @ 2.60GHz

RAM: 4GB

Graphics Integrated

Graphic Driver: Intel® HD Graphics Family Version: 20.19.15.4390

I am an IT Intern at a nurseries distribution center. I was given a laptop that didn't have a working monitor. Now, I mean, it is completely dark, no backlight at all. I am able to get a video connection through the VGA port and that is how I am able to use the laptop on a day to day basis. 

From what I've been told, it is a replacement computer from Dell and Dell has already done internal repairs for this issue. I've been tasked to see if there is any insight into what else could be done. I have tried updating drivers and getting drivers directly from the Dell website. Nothing makes any changes. I have a sinking suspicion it is a hardware issue inside the laptop.

Has anyone every had this issue before? Any resolutions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

The fact that an external monitor works fine reduces the problem to a loose cable for the display, a problem with the display itself, or (rarer than hens teeth) a problem with the part of the system board that turns on the internal display.

Is it a touch screen model?

And, can you post the service tag number?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 mchirico

mchirico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

It is not a touch screen. The service tag is DY42M12.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

According to Dell, that PC shipped in July 2015 and is still under warranty for at least another month. What did they already do?
And, while its a pain in the a**, have you considered squawking at them to fix it?
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/DY42M12/diagnose?s=BSD
That is also an unusual laptop in that they usually want you to remove the display assembly before you actually open the display itself. It also doesn't help that many of the pictures are missing from the manual.
On yours, click on the manuals link and then the owners manual. Follow the instructions to remove the display bezel and the display so you can inspect the cable. I have seen a bunch where the cable to the LCD itself wasn't seated all the way and that fixed it.
If that isn't it, you'd want to check the other end of the cable which is hopefully visible after you remove the keyboard trim.
If it isn't either of those, I'd be fussing at Dell.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users