Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C-Media PCI Audio Device, no sound

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

I recently installed the sound card and it worked fine for a bit. Then one day I turned it on and got no sound, It came on about 4 or 5 hrs later. Next day, nothing all day. Next day, nothing in the morning, came on later. This morning, nothing

I have recently installed Win 7, 64-bit in HP DC 7600. "Properties" says everything is working and "Troubleshooter" found no problems. I am assuming everything is plugged in correctly because it has worked just fine at times. I unplugged and replugged everything. The first time I got no sound I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Worked fine after that. Next day it didn't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

Did you install Windows 7 before purchasing and installing the audio card?

What is the make and model of the audio card?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

Sound card installed after OS.

StarTech, 5.1 Channel PCI Sorround Sound Card - 16 bit

PCISOUNDSCH2

#4 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:53 PM

I found I needed to check it in the volume control options.

It is working at the moment.

#5 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

But the sound is bumpy, not smooth.

Should I send it back?

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

That HP DC7600 uses an Intel 945 chipset which does not support any dual core processors and, I hate to say it; but, I wouldn't even try to load Windows 7 on it, it would be too slow....
Did you know that sound card wasn't even an upgrade? The existing sound (built-in) has the same specs and probably is a little faster as it is incorporated on the system board.
The "bumpy" sound is because the PC can't keep up and sound is a lower priority than the video, memory, or the hard disk drive.
You can get a used PC with a P35 chipset for about $50 and it will, quite literally, run rings around the DC7600:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-755-Intel-Core-2-Duo-3GHz-2GB-RAM-80GB-HDD-Desktop-/112009497968?hash=item1a14494d70:g:BFUAAOSwY0lXSI8A
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

The onboard sound was not good. I wanted to use the speakers from my old Dell.

It ran faster after I loaded Win 7 64-bit, but I will think about what you say.

I don't really need a dual core processor.

I don't really understand the chipset. Will have to look that up. What I do have is this.

System Model    HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2791 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Hewlett-Packard 786D1 v01.03, 5/18/2005
SMBIOS Version    2.4
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    Dorothy-PC\Dorothy
Time Zone    US Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory    857 MB
Total Virtual Memory    3.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory    2.05 GB
Page File Space    1.99 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hi there,

ok, your unit has three variables that i think of right off, any combination of which is causing conflict.

firstly, there is a bios setting with which you turn off the onboard audio, it should be under power settings,

Link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard-Sound

secondly, the realtek audio  must be uninstalled in the device manager if you wish to not use it..

thirdly, windows 7 is attempting to hunt down drivers it sees fit everytime you boot up, and will continue to do so everytime you boot up and it sees the audio card as new hardware.., and this can be cancelled out by simply uninstalling the audio card from device manager and freshly installing the drivers for it when the opportunity is available upon next boot up and win7 indicates new hardware found ...

I just installed a cm audio card card in an old xp machine, and had to disable the onboard audio in bios and the realtek audio in device manager and thusly, a clean installation arose

here is the link to the cmedia site to get the appropriate drivers/provisions/support for your card...

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/PCI_PCIe_AUDIO

and lastly, the 945 chipset is an odd one, some support multiple socket 775 processor generations, some don't:, but for the everyday..work-a-day user ..  ,cpu upgrade isn't applicable

945P

Lakeport

82945P (MCH)

ICH7/ICH7R

May 2005

Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron D, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Duo

533/800/1066

DDR2 400/533/667

4 GB[*]

No/No

PCI Express ×16

15.2 W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

945PL

Lakeport-PL

82945PL (MCH)

ICH7

March 2006

Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron D

533/800

DDR2 400/533

2 GB[*]

No/No

PCI Express ×16

15.2 W

---------------------------------------------------------------------

945G

Lakeport-G

82945G (GMCH)

ICH7/ICH7R

May 2005

Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron D, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Duo

533/800/1066

DDR2 400/533/667

4 GB[*]

No/No

22.2 W

those were three that i saw as an example, there were quite a few 945s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

also, there is a speccy application you can get from the download section here, when you load it, it has a provision for audio devices, if speccy indicates your audio cards syntax, you have arrived!!!

Edited by synergy513, 07 June 2016 - 11:28 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

When you said "The onboard sound was not good", what did you mean?  Did it not work at all?

And, while its an oversimplified example, a true dual core CPU will use one CPU to download the web page while the other renders (draws) it on your screen.  The performance gain is SERIOUSLY noticeable!  That 2.8 GHZ CPU you have is incapable of doing that.

While HP does not list exactly what version of the 945 chipset you have, it does list the supported CPU's and none of them are dual core or a 1066Mhz front side bus:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00376254

At best, you have a Pentium 4 820.  That $50.00 PC I posted has an E8400 and, while not completely accurate, the performance gain is similar to the ratio of 820 and 8400!  The other big note is that a fresh install throws out all of the junk that accumulates over time in a PC and even a reload with the original O/S will often seem to be three (or more) times faster.

Back to your original issue, there is a real chance that the onboard audio is conflicting with the add-in card and the best solution would be to disable it in the BIOS (F10 before windows starts and after the HP logo appears).  If that confuses you, remove the C-Media card, boot the PC, go to the device manager (DEVMGMT.MSC), then right-click and disable the onboard audio.  Turn it off, put the card back in, and see what happens.

#10 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

I found the list of  devices in setup. I can set the arrow for Integrated audio on disable but cannot change it to off. I pressed all buttons, but nothing changes it.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

disable is what you want!

#12 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

I know, but I have found no way to change disable to off. Enter doesn't work or any other key.

There are other items listed as off so I assume there are two possibilities, disable or off.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

Disable will work fine and the setting for each device depends upon what that device is. F10 is the normal key so Save and Exit.

#14 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

I set the arrow on disable. I hit F10 and it exits automatically.

When I return to that device list nothing has changed. and audio is not working.

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 949 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

I gave very specific directions and, I hate to say it; but, you didn't follow them.  I said:

"Back to your original issue, there is a real chance that the onboard audio is conflicting with the add-in card and the best solution would be to disable it in the BIOS (F10 before windows starts and after the HP logo appears).  If that confuses you, remove the C-Media card, boot the PC, go to the device manager (DEVMGMT.MSC), then right-click and disable the onboard audio.  Turn it off, put the card back in, and see what happens."

What you have now confirmed is that the onboard and C-Media cards are conflicting with each other.  Since you have now disabled the onboard in setup, what appears in the device manager?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users