Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail and Email Client ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sportman12

sportman12

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Is their email client or notifier which uses Hotmail ?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2016 - 11:54 AM.
moved from Windows 10 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

Do you mean you want to use an email client for Hotmail access?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

Any e-mail client that supports IMAP (which is pretty much all of them) can be used to access hotmail.  The required settings to place in your account, if you even have to do that, since many clients (e.g., Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail 2012, Outlook) have automatic settings lookup, can be found here.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

I want to use an email client for Hotmail access a free email client do you know of one

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

sportman12,

I already listed you three.  There are many more.  Please take a few moments of your time to use the web search engine of your choice with the search terms "free email client" to see just how many there are.

Your question has now been answered as thoroughly as one could ask for.  No one should have to even try to produce a comprehensive list when this is available via a web search.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I use Thunderbird

Easy set-up for Hotmail because, as britechguy said, it will automatically populate the Hotmail server settings.

Outlook is not free: it is an email client but included in the Microsoft office suite, which has to be purchased. (this is not the same thing as Outlook.com, the Microsoft web mail interface)

#7 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

Britthechguy this is not a email client Windows Live Mail 2012 could someone tell me what is email clients please

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Windows Live Mail IS an email client.

An email client is a 3rd party program you DOWNLOAD, then INSTALL on your computer.

The client is then configured to work with the servers of whatever email domain you want to use it for.

When you want to check your mail, you click the client icon on your desktop, it opens and mail is downloaded from the server, in your case the Hotmail server, into the client.

You have used an email client in the past when you used  (or still use) Zimbra Desktop for your mail.

WLM is available in the Windows Essentials package, which can be downloaded from HERE

All you have to do is install ONLY WLM by checking it and leaving the other things in the package UNCHECKED.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

sportman12,

I swore I would not try to assist you again and will stick to it.  Do a web search on Windows Live Mail 2012 and you will be immediately presented with the information that it's a part of Windows Essentials, is free, and is an e-mail client.

No one should have to spoon-feed you like you seem to expect.  When you ask for information, and are given it, the further research falls upon you.  You don't ever seem to understand that, and post nonsense like "this is not a email client Windows Live Mail 2012."  You have been given not only a short list of three, but a "Let me Google that for you" link that gives you a multi-page list of results.  Do something with those; it's not up to us who've already answered your question! You now have more information on free email client options than you could possibly need!

~ Lauren Bacall

#10 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

britechguy you do not have to be rude saying   No one should have to spoon-feed you like you seem to expect I did try install Windows Essentials this  says messanger not email client I will wait for Queen Evie she has pc smarts

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

@sportman12 The reason you are not getting an answer is because you are not framing the question correctly. You asked for a email client OR notifier, when these are two different things. A email client downloads and sends emails. A notifier only shows how many new emails you have since you last checked. Several email clients have been suggested, but your denial that they are clients confused the issue. Instead, I think you may want a email notifier. How do you check your hotmail now? What internet browser do you use? Internet Explorer? Chrome? Firefox?

@britechguy I feel your pain, but if you don't want to "spoon feed" people who know less then you and want to know less then you, then I suggest another hobby then IT support. Educated users are a rarity and if a forum post got you this tilted, then maybe take a break? Stick to Tier 2 type posts? Tier 1 will slowly eat your soul. I know..  :axe:

Edited by Trikein, 07 June 2016 - 01:22 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

If you do not want messenger, uninstall it.

Go to Control Panel/Program and Features.

Look for Windows Essentials, click Uninstall. You will be asked to choose which features to uninstall. Check Messenger.

To install only Windows Live Mail, open up the Windows Essentials installer.

At some point you will see this screen.
oBvQ1Ud.png

Choose the option in the red box.

The next screen
fzd2Zpu.png

Check which features to install. Follow the prompts.

IF you used the FIRST option-Install All Features-when you installed then Windows Live Mail is ALREADY on your computer.

To find it go to the start menu/All Apps.

Look through it to see if Windows Live Mail is listed, likely would be under W

edit to add: WLM is to clunky for me, I do not like it. Thunderbird, in my opinion, is way better and simpler to use.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#13 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Trikein your to kind I want to use a desktop email client OR  email notifier, for Hotmail look can not seem to get one for Hotmail is their one

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

@britechguy I feel your pain, but if you don't want to "spoon feed" people who know less then you and want to know less then you, then I suggest another hobby then IT support. Educated users are a rarity and if a forum post got you this tilted, then maybe take a break? Stick to Tier 2 type posts? Tier 1 will slowly eat your soul. I know..  :axe:

There is a difference with having patience with the new and dealing with spoon-feeding.  This particular user has followed this MO for months, and I'd hoped that with a little time, additional exposure, and the unbelievable amount of help he's received, particularly from Queen-Evie, that perhaps he would have grown and matured, just a bit.

I deal with newbies all the time.  It's what I do in my own one-man tech support business.  I rarely experience something like what has happened repeatedly with this particular poster.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Try to find out if WLM is already installed IF you did install Windows Live Essentials.

Post back to let us know if it is there. If it is, we can move on to the next step.

NOW A FEW WORDS WHICH ALL WILL HEED IF YOU ARE WISE:

Knock off with the put-downs, flaming, offensive and inflammatory comments.

If you don't want to help someone, that is your prerogative.

HOWEVER, do NOT come in a say "I will not help you anymore" because you think spoon-feeding is a waste of YOUR time.

DO remember that EVERYONE has different levels of tech know-how, some are not confident in their abilities, there may be underlying reasons you don't know about that causes one to question everything that is said.

Just because they have a different level of understanding than YOU do, doesn't make you any better.

I deal with newbies all the time and if spoon-feeding and hand-holding is necessary, I will do it simply because when I was new to computers I had people treat me like I was stupid for not knowing something.

If you don't want to help, then simply BUTT OUT.

PLAY NICE OR FIND A NEW PLAYGROUND.

As a reminder

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 June 2016 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users