Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, gigabyte motherboard after switching Sata cable would boot from dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kouen

Kouen

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

Hi, I offered my friend a hand to solve this strange problem with his serial ata port. It seems one of the Sata wont work properly, the hard drive has windows 8.1, with uefi bios available. The point is, after switching sata ports it boots from dvd by default, can I set to boot from hdd first,
? I tried a lot of times to set boot option #1 hdd
Boot option #2 to disabled but the system still boots from dvd, the next time I enter the bios appears by default dvd drive
I went to cd dvd boot option and set It to disable the drive
Then I went to hdd and set to default the hdd
I even disconnected and booted without the drive dvd
But there is not any changes. If I insert a boot capable disc into the drive, it boots from the dvd drive.
Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

Is the time and date correct?

This could be caused by one of these.

A connection problem between the motherboard and the hdd.

A problem with the operating system, like a problem with the MBR.  But you should receive an error message like boot device not found, or hdd not recognized.

A problem with the hdd.

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2016 - 11:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kouen

Kouen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

When the disc is nt inserted it boot smoothly, as soon as I plug a bootable dvd, it boot from dvd, is it a default feature of uefi mobos?
I would like to boot alway from hdd, but I could nt get it setup properly.
Thanks for the quick response arachybutyrophobia.
And thanks for any help

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

It sounds like you have the DVD/CD drive as the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device in the order.

Open the BIOS and look at the boot order to see which device is first.

If the DVD/CD drive is the first device and doesn't have a bootable disc in it when you start the computer this BIOS will recognize that you need to boot from the next device in the boot order.  Since is does boot from the DVD/CD drive if there is a bootable disc in it, it's fairly obvious that you need to change the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kouen

Kouen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, yes, I should change the boot order but tried to do that, uefi boot manager defaults to dvd hdd reader etc. I have tried several time to change it but the system keeps reading dvd drive if there is one bootable media on drive, I have seen on youtube, that the default uefi boot order is such. Am I wrong?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users