Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I need to know inorder to get correct RAM when Replacing or Upgrading?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi,I am going to upgrade my laptops RAM and I used the crucial scanner to try and match my RAM but I don't want to buy their RAM,I want corsair RAM so I had a look on ebay and found some similar RAM using the crucial results but when I asked the sellers if it would match my laptop,they were unsure and asked if I could take a pic of the RAM so they could check.

This made me wonder what information do I really need to know when choosing to upgrade to either better RAM or replace existing RAM with the same match without having to ask sellers will this be compatible?

So far the only things I know are that DIMM is seemingly for desktops and SODIMM for laptops.

I have seen SODIMM RAM which is 200 pin and also 204 pin,how many different types of connection are there?

What about voltages,do they have to match etc?

Can you upgrade RAM from DDR2  to DDR3 or are can you only put in what your board can accept?

Does CL have to match or can you put any different CL in?

What does PC2 PC3 mean etc?

Any help in understanding RAM is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

To answer your first question, I would start by going to the manufacturers website and see what the default ram is they put in it and then look for the same.

pa9d6f-4.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

Your laptop model is? That helps a lot.

#4 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hi, I know that I can just buy the correct RAM for my laptop by copying exactly the specs of my current RAM obviously but what I want to know is when replacing RAM what details have to be an exact match and what does DDR,PC2 etc. mean?

Any info appreciated.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

FWIW:  DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 Memories Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/167 .

The type of RAM called for...is determined by the motherboard used.  Each motherboard reflects specs for compatible items which can be used with that board, along with extraneous data regarding items which many users are not interested in (nor should they be).

You can use Google and wikipedia to supplement your knowledge about computer parts and specs.

Louis

#6 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users