Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop no connections available/wifi problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyArsenal

PhillyArsenal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hey everyone.  First time posting here so I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right section.  I just bought a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 yesterday with Windows 10 and I'm having some connection issues.  The laptop does not list any available connections, only an option for Network settings or airplane mode.  When I click on change adapter options there is only Bluetooth listed but no WiFi.  I also attempted using the Fn key and the command key to switch the connection on, however all this does is toggle airplane mode on and off.  

I went into device manager to try and locate the Wifi driver to uninstall/reinstall, however I'm either not seeing it or it isn't there.  Sorry if the question is vague, I can attempt to provide more details and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by PhillyArsenal, 07 June 2016 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Obviously this computer is under warranty, so I'd take it back to where you bought it and get some help.  You could also post in the Dell user forum here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518 .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Yep.....Dell plus Win10 having connection problems seems to be a common issue. I've been having troubles myself. I recently moved from my winter home to my summer home and (for now) the troubles have disappeared, leading me to believe it might be a router problem at my other residence.

What happens when you run the Networking Troubleshooter? When I was having troubles, sometimes the Troubleshooter would repair them and I would have a connection for a while. Then, usually on restart, the wireless situation would be as you describe. At other times the Troubleshooter would fail with this message:

"ONE OR MORE NETWORK PROTOCOLS ARE MISSING ON THIS COMPUTER"
"WINDOWS SOCKETS REGISTRY ENTRIES REQUIRED FOR NETWORK CONNECTIVITY ARE MISSING"

Lots of information on the Web about these messages, but no real solutions.

What worked for me was to create a System Restore Point at a time when the wireless was working, and then restore back when the Troubleshooter would fail. A nuisance, but it worked.

#4 PhillyArsenal

PhillyArsenal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Yep.....Dell plus Win10 having connection problems seems to be a common issue. I've been having troubles myself. I recently moved from my winter home to my summer home and (for now) the troubles have disappeared, leading me to believe it might be a router problem at my other residence.

What happens when you run the Networking Troubleshooter? When I was having troubles, sometimes the Troubleshooter would repair them and I would have a connection for a while. Then, usually on restart, the wireless situation would be as you describe. At other times the Troubleshooter would fail with this message:

"ONE OR MORE NETWORK PROTOCOLS ARE MISSING ON THIS COMPUTER"
"WINDOWS SOCKETS REGISTRY ENTRIES REQUIRED FOR NETWORK CONNECTIVITY ARE MISSING"

Lots of information on the Web about these messages, but no real solutions.

What worked for me was to create a System Restore Point at a time when the wireless was working, and then restore back when the Troubleshooter would fail. A nuisance, but it worked.

Thanks for the replies Niweg and Joshuals. I tried Troubleshooter for both Internet Connections and Network Adaptor.  Both say a problem could not be identified.  It is frustrating and I also tried the system restore, however the Wifi hasn't worked since I pulled the laptop out of the box so there is no good point to restore it to.  I took Niweg's advice and posted on a Dell forum, however I think I'm going to have to take it back into the store tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users