Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hack, Computer Refuses To Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ichthys

ichthys

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

So, my wife and I are laying in bed, and I hear a *Bleep!* (windows pop-up error sound) and the computer restarts itself.

It got back to the user screen, and I just clicked shutdown, because I didn't have time to mess with it.

This morning, I try to boot it, and it reaches the desktop graphic, but the desktop icons never show up, the start bar and lower right icons never show up, and the windows intro music never plays.

So, I shut it down since I had to go to work.

So, my wife calls me at work, and I suggest to try and start it in Safe Mode. I had her run an error checking status on it, and it says it cannot until next boot up. Well, she's already run error check, and it says everything is 10-4.

She's stated that if you try to start it in Safe Mode, there's a huge list on a black DOS-type background with all the windows files on it.

I'll see if I can't get more information.

Do we need to format, or is there anything else we can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ichthys

ichthys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:49 AM

Hmm, well I've fiddled with it a little bit.

I can CtrlAltDel and bring up the processes screen, and I can run MsConfig from the New Process button.

Man, that's weird. All the desktop icons are gone, and the start bar is completely gone. Just a mouse cursor, and the background.

#3 ichthys

ichthys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:05 AM

I've finally got my computer to boot up. It literally took 20 minutes to load all of the icons and start bar.

The CPU usage is jumping from 36% to 100% usage, and when it hits 100%, I get a message of:

vsmon.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\vswmi.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I'm gonna run system scan, and see if that'll fix it.

Suggestions are welcomed.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

Try running System Restore to a date from before the problem began.

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

If that doesn't solve the problem boot to safe mode and use "Last Known Good Configuration"

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 August 2006 - 08:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users