Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which used small laptop with decent sound?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

Hi

Looking for a used small 10-13" laptop for my wife to replace her ageing Atom based Samsung N30.

I tried an i5 Lenovo X220 but whilst it was certainly powerful enough the sound was just way to quiet to watch online streaming etc.

It also needs to be Windows 7 for a variety of reasons.

Budget is around £150 so I guess I am looking at something 3-5 years old.  Battery life needs to be good as well although I suspect on most a new battery may be required.

Needs to be a decent processing power as well.

I Think the main thing is the sound really.  

Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

Go out hp zbook 15 from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQZ7GIM/?&tag=laptop-magazine-20
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Thanks but thats a 15" laptop not 11-13"

#4 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

Look out for https://www.amazon.com/HP-13-r010dx-Detachable-BeatsAudio-Refurbished/dp/B00P8CUXWK/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465316838&sr=8-3&keywords=11to+13+inch+laptop and http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-13-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256-gb-solid-state-drive/5190001.p?id=bb5190001&skuId=5190001

Edited by LiamP5, 07 June 2016 - 11:37 AM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#5 cavemanwhite

cavemanwhite

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Just plug in your headphones, if the length of a cord is too constricting just get bluetooth headohones. I personally have a Lenovo E540 and it works well and has great sound output. However its a 15.6 inch display

Edited by cavemanwhite, 13 June 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#6 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

Just plug in your headphones, if the length of a cord is too constricting just get bluetooth headohones. I personally have a Lenovo E540 and it works well and has great sound output. However its a 15.6 inch display

Yes thats all I do on my laptop but my wife refuses to use headphones. :(

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

Laptop speakers are tiny & the speakers in small laptops are even tinier. So laptop sound quality is generally abysmal because of the speakers. If using headphones is not an option what about external amplified speaker unit(s) - you can get wired units (with external mains power or USB powered or (rechargeable?) battery powered - or you can use a Bluetooth speaker or Bluetooth soundbar (which could be mains powered or have a rechargeable battery).

You can always leave the speakers behind when the laptop needs to be portable (or some of the battery powered Bluetooth speakers are quite compact but still with much better sound than a bare laptop).

#8 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

Thanks.  Yes I think this is probably the best option.  She will probably moan about speakers though as well as being a bit of a faff. :D

Sound in her little Samsung was ok (ish) but as said the much higher spec and newer Lenovo we tried wasnt as loud so I Was hoping someone would come on and say "ive got such and such and its fine".  I think some of the newer ones are not too bad as the speaker technology has improved.  Thing is if you buy something online you cannot check which is why I was looking for a recommendation.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Is windows a requirement? try a chromebook, several newer models have google play compatibility

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Is windows a requirement? try a chromebook, several newer models have google play compatibility

Yes it is really.  Needs to run Sage and Office as well as store a fair bit of stuff.  So minimum 250gb hd, 4-8gb ram, i3 or i5 etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users