Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is going on with Windows Update?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 guibannwart

guibannwart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:03 AM

Hi Guibannwart :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Yes doing that speeds up updating the system specially on fresh installs of Windows 7.

The problem I found on my test machine is that SFC starts working inconsistently, on a 1st run it says found problems and fix them! after a restart a 2nd sfc scan reports problems that it couldn't repair!

a new restart and another scan and its back to the first state!

Hi SleepyDude,

Not sure why sfc is showing errors, but it can be due to several reasons. I did a sfc scan in 3 machines (all of them had the Windows Update solution applied previoulsy), and no errors so far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

Hi SleepyDude,

Not sure why sfc is showing errors, but it can be due to several reasons. I did a sfc scan in 3 machines (all of them had the Windows Update solution applied previoulsy), and no errors so far.

Thanks for your input. I have to repeat the test using another machine...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#33 Musiqman

Musiqman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

Adam Pollard's post was very helpful.  I bought a recently purchased Dell Inspiron 3847 with Windows 7 Pro and fired it up last wwek.  My previous computer was rendered useless by the Windows 10 "take 'em by force" virus (they call it an Operating System).  It was an older Acer model and its days were numbered.

I initially loaded three programs: Office 365, Web Root and Canon Printer/Scanner software.  The  OS was throwing ".dll" errors when using the most basic of programs (SnippingTool).

Windows Updater was not doing anything but searching for updates, unsuccessfully for more than 10 hours.  I reloaded the Win 7 Pro OS not knowing what program might be causing the dll issue.  Before loading any other program, the error was present.  To say Microsoft Support was useless would be an understatement.

Anyway, here's what worked for me:

1. Turn off Windows Updater completely.

2. Run KB3102438

3. Run KB3020369

4. Run KB3125574 (as required by your machine - x64 for me)

5. Problem solved.

Based on other suggestions in this thread I attempted to download the "update roll-up" program (most recently from July 2016 - KB3172605).  The program wouldn't download, but it wasn't an issue because the dll problem was resolved through the first four steps.

Windows Update still finds nothing, through the automated version or the standalone, which I believe is by Microsoft design.  I think they are having server scalability issues as they feverishly work to cram Windows 10 down the throats of unsuspecting and/or unwilling users of their OS.  Whether by design or through an unintended, but acceptable (to them) consequence.

Edited by Musiqman, 26 July 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#34 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

Windows Update still finds nothing, through the automated version or the standalone, which I believe is by Microsoft design.  I think they are having server scalability issues as they feverishly work to cram Windows 10 down the throats of unsuspecting and/or unwilling users of their OS.  Whether by design or through an unintended, but acceptable (to them) consequence.

You hit the nail on the head 100%. These Windows 7 issues started when Windows 10 was rolled out. Personally, I think Microsoft is doing a disservice to their customers by trying to convince people to go with Windows 10. Most upgrades are fine but quite a few are unmitigated disasters. It's never a good idea to install one OS on top of another that is not the same.

#35 guibannwart

guibannwart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for this post, it helped me a lot. I'd like to share my experience here in my company with Win 7 Pro. We have a WSUS deployed, and it was taking forever for a brand new installation to find out the updates. The steps we took to have it fixed (remember that Win 7 must be original and activated ):
1) Stop Windows Update service;
2) Install KB3020369 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369);
3) Stop Windows Update service again;
4) Install KB3161608 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608);
5) Reboot the system;
After the reboot, it took no more than 5 minutes to find out the updates (sometimes we had to force the scan of Windows Updates again).

Update: replace KB3161608 by KB3172605 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/3172605). This is the July 2016 rollup for Windows.

#36 AliceZ

AliceZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

I don't know what you mean by "July 2016 rollup for Windows."

I tried to check for CU again today and all I get is the Searching going on and on. Same as previously.

I still don't know what is going on with MS and why they have corrected this CU downloading problem in such a long time!!!

This is what my history shows:

2zthw81.jpg

Is it up to date or do I have to try to continue to download Critical Updates?

So time consuming and frustrating.

As it is now, I can't download Critical Updates and my MSE does not update. I have to manually go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971606 every time I want to update MSE. Just awful!!!!

(MS customers should band together and send petition to MS about this awful way to treat their customers with Win7 and Vista. Just awful!)

Edited by AliceZ, 28 July 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#37 WintersM

WintersM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

I just ran accross this while looking for something else, and I can sympathize! Our support dept used to be plagued by this problem. What we did to get around it is run a few simple Powershell commands. It still takes some time (an hour or two) but it's a reliable process for us. Since this is a fairly recent post, I'll copy the instructions I wrote on the process. Give it a go, maybe it will help you out :)

Powershell updating - Condensed version

• Before doing anything, follow these steps:

• In order to run these commands, we need to download and install a powershell module. There are a few steps to get it running correctly, but it’s not terribly difficult. Below are OS specific instructions:

• First - download PSWindowsUpdate from the following link, and unzip to your desktop -

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc

• If you are on windows 7:

• Open the included folder “pswindowsupdate” and then open the file “PSWindowsUpdate” (the one that is only 1kb)

• Remove the first line of code (“Get-ChildItem -Path $PSScriptRoot | Unblock-File”) and then hit delete to remove the line entirely.

• Save the file.

• Move the entire folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules AND ..\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules AND C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

• If you are on Windows 8 Skip to here:

• Once you have the module downloaded and the folder extracted, move the entire thing into C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules AND ..\Documents\PSWindowsUpdate\v1.0\Modules AND C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

• A Note: Make sure your directory isn’t duplicated - It should look like \Modules\PSWindowsUpdate\*the files in this folder*. Placing this folder will manually install the cmdlet you are trying to access.

• Open 64-bit Powershell as administrator (typing it in the search box is easiest, you want the one that doesn’t say (x86))

• Set your execution policy to “unrestricted” by inputting this command:

• Set -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

• Now we need to import the module we installed. Type this command:

• Import-Module -Name PSWindowsUpdate

• You may have to go through several prompts asking you what to do. Make sure to hit R (for run) and then Enter, at all of them

• Now we’re going to tell Windows to run the update module out of the package we installed, but to do that, we need to reference Windows update’s Service ID. Type the following command:

• Add-WUServiceManager -ServiceID 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d

• If all goes well, there may be a few more prompts asking whether or not to run this task. Hit A (for “run all”) and then Enter on all of them.

• Once this task is complete, you will see a line with the service ID that you typed. Now we have the option of reviewing all applicable updates. If you’d like to do this, Give the following command:

• Get-wuinstall -microsoftupdate -listonly

• It will take awhile, but eventually a list will appear

• If you just want to install all available updates, give this command:

• Get-wuinstall -microsoftupdate -acceptall

• Another option: if you want the computer to reboot itself after installing updates, add  -autoreboot to the end of the above command.

• This takes awhile, but eventually it will complete. You may want to set your power settings to never go to sleep while this process is running.

• Once you’re done, You’ll want to head over to Add/Remove Programs and look for any undesired programs that got installed (Skype). You can also look at the List of Installed Updates if you’d like to remove any specific ones.

#38 AliceZ

AliceZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

I don't know why we would have to do all of this in order to fix what MS should be fixing. How many people have been inconvenienced by this critical download/update problem every month for Vista and Win 7? Why isn't MS doing something to fix this and why are we spending/wasting so much time trying to get these downloads? I am 80 years old and don't have the time or expertise to be making all these "fixes."

#39 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:50 AM

- Agree. But I know that Microsoft is busy to find a permanent solution for this. And as long as MS doesn't come up with that fix we'll have to make do with these "fixes".

- One can also try this guide:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#40 SteveBondy

SteveBondy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

I registered with this forum just so I can post here and say thanks to everyone that has contributed. I spent many hours this week fighting with a Windows 10 machine for one of my customers. It tried to install some update from Microsoft  and managed to get itself stuck in a failed update loop that I couldn't get it out of no matter what I tried. I told the customer I was going to have to reinstall Windows, and they decided to go back to Windows 7 instead of fighting with Windows 10 again.

Much to my dismay I found myself staring at Windows Update checking for updates for hours on end. To make a long story short, this thread finally got me over the hump.

Here is what worked for me:

Install Windows 7 from CD

Install the proper motherboard drivers etc.

In Control Panel tell windows not to download or install updates

Reboot

Manually download and install the following

KB3020369 (April 2015 service stack update)

Install IE11

KB3102810 Update for Windows update

Install .Net 4.6

KB3125574 Convenience rollup

KB3172605 The latest Windows Update fix

I rebooted whenever necessary in that process. After that I was FINALLY able to check for, download and install updates through Windows Update.

Thanks again to all that have contributed some sanity to this ongoing insanity.

Steve

Edited by SteveBondy, 01 October 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#41 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

- Didn't you overlook to install Internet Explorer ? Otherwise you won't be able to install that "Convenience Update" package.

#42 SteveBondy

SteveBondy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

- Didn't you overlook to install Internet Explorer ? Otherwise you won't be able to install that "Convenience Update" package.

You're absolutely right! I edited the post above to correct that little oversight. 

#43 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

- Microsoft released a new update to improve "the stability of the Servicing Stack". Is this the fix for the nagging Windows Update problem many Windows users have experienced since - at least - the second quarter of 2016 ?

For more info (Win 7 & Windows Server 2008 systems):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177467

- Some interesting links:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2008/04/23/understanding-component-based-servicing/

http://superuser.com/questions/1096947/what-is-the-servicing-stack-and-how-does-it-work

Edited by Willy22, 01 October 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#44 malchico

malchico

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

I guess I now understand why my computer has been driving me crazy for a year with the fan sounding like it's going to fly out of the machine and the CPU usage heading off the charts when I'm not even doing anything. I wasted my time taking that chip out and reapplying the conductive paste. I don't even understand most of what yall are saying, but now I can just learn to live with it.

#45 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

What we are saying...is that there is a known issue with Windows Update in Windows 7 for many users.  There is no clearcut solution...from what I've seen, varying procedures resolve the problem for some users...the problem remains unresolved for some users.

To illustrate...I have 3 systems with Win 7 installed.  One system has never exhibited a problem...one system I resolved by trying this and that...and 1 system remains unresolved  (for the time being) because I refuse to devote any more time to attempted solutions.

You are welcome to review any of the BC topics reported in this forum...and see if the suggestions/comments prove of any value to you.

This Windows Update issue typically will manifest itself by prolonged checks for updates or the inability to update. If the system is trying to update and is unable...this can result in the system continually trying to do what it's supposed to do...and this, in turn, can result in the system being overtaxed and heating up.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users