Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade From P4 To P5 Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dpflyguy

dpflyguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:03 AM

Ok guys, here goes nothing!
I am currently running a Intel Pentium 4 Northwoods 2.8 CPU on a ASUS P4S533-E motherboard. My motherboard takes the ddr memory 184pin unbuffered non -ECC PC2700, 2100, or 1600 Dimms only.
I have currently 1 Gig of ram. My motherboard does not have a PCIe X16 slot nor a PCIe x1 slot but only a AGP 2x4 slot and 6 PCI slots. Here is MY question guys! I want to upgrade, sooooo
1. if i get a new motherboard with a PCIe X1 and PCIe X16 slot can i keep my current P4 2.8 cpu??
2. can i keep my current DDR memory or will i have to upgrade to DDR2?? wish to keep the mem.
My problem occured when i went out and bought BF2, my current GE force4 TI4200 128 mem vid card could not hang, so then i bought a vid card, ATI radeon X1600Xt and it doesnt work with my current system!
Sheesh, where does it end?? its a PCI express vid card and im out of luck. Any help or comments will be appreciated, Im trying to upgrade for as cheap as possible utilizing most of my same crap!
HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:00 AM

There are some MoBos out there that take PCI Express video cards, but still use DDR RAM. Your problem might be finding a Socket 478 MoBo with PCI Express might be a bit harder....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users