Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Can't Be Read Errors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 whitejak

whitejak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Mod edit: Moved from the Xp forum--PK

Machine: Gateway GM5076E; 3.2 Gh (dual) 2G RAM; ATI Radeon x1900GT(PCI);Windows XP Media Center 5.1; using DSL broadband

Protection: McAfee Security Center and Spy Sweeper used regularly (viruses never identified, only a couple low risk trackers and cookies removed). Using Mozilla and Outlook Express. McAfee came preinstalled and recently I did activate the subscription after the trial period.

Bleeping Computer Preparation Guide for use before posting: I completed every step and used Housecall, no problems identified, nothing removed except for a couple of low risk items by Ad-Aware.

Problem: This new machine running great until about a week ago. Never any real problems except the usual irritating AOL pop-ups and its trying to get me to install PortMagic on my computer (I'm not an AOL user and will probably try to uninstall it completely at the first opportunity). Fending off AOL wanting to install Port Magic may have initiated some problems. I had originally checked "never use Port Magic on this computer", but later a window popped up any way asking again. I tried to decline the install, and at about that time several things started. I remember thinking at the time that either I had mis-clicked or that AOL had installed it anyway. First I had trouble getting the taskbar to appear at start up. Booted in Safe mode and virus-scanned and ran Spy Sweeper and found nothing, except sure enough Port Magic was there in the add/remove window (I later uninstalled it). Got an odd error message and uninstalled and re-installed Spy Sweeper with no problem. I did run <sfc /scannow> once on the machine, thinking some system files may have been corrupted, but I couldn't say for sure that this solved anything. The taskbar problem appeared to resolve spontaneously (or for reasons I don't know).

At the same time I began to notice two other things that did not go away. I began to get messages of the following general nature at startup and shutdown and occasionally when running several applications:

Application error <app name>: The instruction at 0x7c80979d referenced memory at 0x00194020. The memory could not be written.

The above type application error occurs consistently at startup (almost invariably MSKDetct.exe) and at shut down (almost invariably ehSched.exe). They have also occured during use of the computer with various apps, including on one occasion when shutting down after "start->run->dxdiag"

The other issue is that I know get a "program not responding" and a shutting down window for .NET-BroadcastEventWindow 2.0.0 when shutting down the computer. I simply wait for the window to indicate the program is shut down, click close, and the computer finishes shutting down without event.

I'd have a hard time saying the performance of the computer is slower or more sluggish in general at this point. Perhaps a little bit. The router seems to work well, except for an occasional typical need to reset it. Video card working OK as near as I can tell.

That's my story, as well and honestly as I can tell it.

Here's a fresh HJT log, in case you need. I don't really understand these logs, but these 2 caught my eye:

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:58:09 PM, on 8/9/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mHotkey.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\114077~1\EE\AOLHOS~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\114077~1\EE\AOLServiceHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CNYHKey.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee QuickClean\Plguni.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.gateway.com/g/sidepanel.html?Ch...P&M=GM5076E
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch...P&M=GM5076E
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch...P&M=GM5076E
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.gateway.com/g/sidepanel.html?Ch...P&M=GM5076E
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch...P&M=GM5076E
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotkey] mHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1140778163\EE\AOLHostManager.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [readericon] "C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] %WINDIR%\Creator\Remind_XP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelAudioStudio] "C:\Program Files\Intel Audio Studio\IntelAudioStudio.exe" BOOT
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ledpointer] CNYHKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [showwnd] showwnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe" /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee QuickClean Imonitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee QuickClean\Plguni.exe" /START
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "Owner"
O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {0713E8D2-850A-101B-AFC0-4210102A8DA7} (Microsoft ProgressBar Control, version 5.0 (SP2)) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/Shared/C...22/ComCtl32.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...01/mcinsctl.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
O23 - Service: Washer Security Access (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Edited by Papakid, 10 August 2006 - 09:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Hello whitejak and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I see no signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

connwsp.dll is part of PortMagic. If this program was uninstalled it might be that it did not clean up properly after itself. Check for this folder and see if it exists:C:\PROGRAM FILES\PURE NETOWRKS\PORT MAGIC
If so, check the Add/Remove Programs to make sure that it did not get installed again. If it is not there then proceed with the following.

Download LSP-Fix to your desktop. Disconnect from the Internet and close all Internet Explorer Windows. Run LspFix.exe and click in the checkbox for I know what I'm doing. Click on each listing of 'connwsp.dll and then move it into the Remove section by clicking on the >> button that points to the right. When all instances of this dll are in the Remove section press the Finish button.

Now reboot to finish this part.

Next, remove the startup entry for Port Magic by doing the following.

Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair and then reboot the machine.

Let me know if you run into any problems with the above instructions. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 whitejak

whitejak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

This is a follow up/resolution note:

First of all, thank you OldTimer for helping me with this. It appears so far that the problems are resolved.

I performed the fixes precisely as you instructed and did not seem to have any problems. LSP-fix removed some connwsp.dll files, and HJT removed the entry you specified. I confirmed this with a follow-up HJT logfile, which I am electing not to paste into this response (unless you request). Three shutdown/startups later it appears that the Application errors(Memory Can't Be Read) and the "not responding--> end now message at shutdown are NO LONGER present.

I did notice, however, that in Start UP ---> "All Programs list" there was an entry for Pure Networks pointing only to a sub-entry entitled "Pure Networks website". I searched for files and found the folder and the website entry in Documents and Settings/All Users/StartMenu/Programs. These were just a folder and a very small file that I deduced was a link to the website, so I just deleted them without any repercussions. Now a search for Pure Networks appears clean as does the StartUp Program Menu.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this and help me.

Cheers,

Another "Old Timer"

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:40 AM

You're very welcome whitejak. I'm glad that we could help.

Now that your malware issues have been resolved I will close this topic. If you have any new malware issues in the future then please start a new topic.

Cheers.

Have a safe and happy computing day!

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users