Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Notebook won't boot, hangs on splash screen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Keyper

Keyper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

HI everyone.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5194 Notebook with 6gb Ram running WIndows 10 and now it is refusing to fully boot and load Windows.

What happened?

Battery died while watching a movie, I plugged it in and left it to charge. A few hours later I tried to boot it up and I only got fan noise and the "Toshiba" splash screen.

What have I tried?

-pulled out the harddrive and confirmed the data and operating system appear to be fine.

-replaced the CMOS battery based on a forum discussion I found online - no change.

-I can access the bios by pressing F2 but only if I plug in an external USB keyboard. The "built in" keyboard and pad get no response.

-tried booting with each RAM module individually - no change

Any other suggestions? My attempts to Google similar issues have failed me. 

As I said, I already got my data so now it's just a matter of wanting to figure out the problem and hopefully salvage the hardware.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:50 PM

First try powercycling the computer. Pull the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and attach the power adapter. Reboot.

If the above does not work do you get a Recovery Manager when tapping 0 (zero)? This will initiate a factory reset and take it back to the OS that was originally on the computer. From there you can upgrade to Windows 10 if you wish.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

#3 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:01 AM

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I did the powercycle, pulling the battery and holding the button. It still hangs just like before.

Using the USB keyboard, I can press 0 and get a popup asking if I want to use the Hard Drive Recovery System. When I say 'YES" I get the same Toshiba splash screen with the words "Please Wait" added at the bottom. 

I managed to get into the recover tool once but I chose to do the "refresh" and it failed because the Windows directory is "locked." (I changed the 'ownership' of the folders so I could copy them) 

I'm okay with doing a full reset but I can't seem to get back into the Repair tool. It keeps hanging on the splash screen.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. If you can get the computer to boot form disk or USB do a clean install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#5 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

I created a bookable USB and I can get the machine to boot and "install" a new version of windows but when it goes to reboot it goes back into the repair tool. If I pull out the USB before the reboot it just hangs on the splash screen again.

There are 4 different Windows 10 installations listed in the repair tool now but I can't seem to boot any of them.

I tried to "Reset PC" but it starts to run and then gives the error: "There was a problem trying to reset this PC" The only option is to Cancel. 

Other suggestions?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Do the following. Boot the Windows USB install. When you get to the first install screen that asks for what language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. type the following commands.

diskpart  -  this will open the diskpart command prompt

list disk   -  this will list your disks. If you only have one disk it will be disk 0

select disk X   -  where X is the disk that you will install Windows to, probably 0

clean  -   this will delete all partitions on the drive

exit  -  exits diskpart

exit -   exits command prompt

continue the install

#7 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Wow, it's been a while since I had to use diskpart....

Okay, I cleared the partition and reinstalled from the USB drive. When it got to the restart I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order back to hard drive so it wouldn't loop but it's still hanging up on the Toshiba splash screen.

#8 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Well, I walked away for a bit and came back to find it restarting itself and it loaded the network setup. I'm still finishing the install now. I'll update once it's complete.

#9 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

So the Windows install completed but my keyboard doesn't work and the touch pad is weird. It's like I'm pushing both buttons at once. I installed the proper drivers and restarted but I got hung up on the Toshiba screen again.

I booted from the USB again and went into the repair tools to the "Startup Repair" and it's been running for about 10 mins.I'll update again soon.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

Was this an upgrade to 10? Did the computer originally come with 10? If you still have issue then I would download UBCD. Create a bootable USB and at the desktop run DiskHealth. Do the short and long tests. If the drive passes then do a Memory test with Memtest86+. Let it run for at least six passes and preferably overnight.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#11 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

I've tried with both a CD and a bookable USB stick but I can't get either one to boot. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

In order to boot a USB of UBCD you need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. You may also need to change from UEFI to Legacy or CSM boot.

Tapping F12 at boot will give a boot menu that will let you select the boot device.

This guide is for Windows 8 but Windows 10 should be similar. 

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

How did you create the bootable USB flash drive of UBCD?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#13 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

Okay I got it to boot. I don't see a tool called DiscHealth. I ran DiscCheck and it sees the hard drive but it is giving me an error that it can't test the medium.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

This is Disk Check on the Desktop of Parted Magic? 

Does the initial Window look like this?

gsmartcontrol.png

#15 Keyper

Keyper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

It's inside Parted Magic. Okay, got it. Running the Memory test now. I will go into Parted Magic once it's done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users