Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns On But *NOTHING* Happens

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi Friends,

Working on an HP Pavilion P7-1380T, Windows 10. 

I turn on the computer, I hear it fire up, but nothing shows on monitor, keyboard light doesn't come on, and the hard drive light on the computer doesn't come on. It just sits there. Hitting keys doesn't do anything either. If I let it sit for a while, the computer will reboot and sit there some more.

Here are some things I've tried:

1. Removed connections to CD drive and HDD to try to get it to at least POST. No joy.

2. Removed one of 2 sticks of RAM to test theory of bad memory. No joy.

3. Removed all connections to MOBO and re-connected them. Nothin'.

4. Swapped out monitor. Didn't help.

So at this point I'm guessing I have a bad CPU or MOBO. But I've seen others who have this issue that end up figuring out it's a bad hard drive, which if true is really weird because it should at least POST in that case, right?? I also don't have the parts laying around to test my CPU or MOBO theory.

Anyway, could really use a little help here.

Thanks guys and gals!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

If you have no display, there's no way to run any tests/diagnostcs.

You might get some ideas from this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Bad hard drives can stop a system from posting - but if you remove the hard drive, then the system should post.

At it's most basic, you'll be removing everything except for the few connections needed to boot the computer

This includes the plugs to the front of the case, any cards that are inserted into the motherboard, and anything else (such as the wifi cards I see in some HP's)

If still no video, then it's either CPU or motherboard.  Motherboard failures are more common than CPU failures.

As for parts to test with, find a local shop/store that will let you return parts that you don't need (for your money back).

If this were me, the first thing that I'd try would be another video card.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

When a computer won't get POST that means that the signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS. In that case, usually there is no keyboard recognition beep from the system beeper including no error beep codes, you have a laser mouse and it does not light, and and no video, you have a low-level hardware failure. This can be caused by only 4 things: bad CPU, failed Mainboard, failed Power supply, or a damaged/corrupted BIOS.

Try resetting the BIOS back to factory default; if no joy, you have a low-level hardware failure. Percentage-wise, the majority of times (in my experience) the mainboard has failed. CPUs rarely fail unless extreme overclocking or sudden electrical surge may fry them. Power supplies can be tested either by a dedicated tester or a good meter-tester. Memory failure will usually not cause this type of problem and you have tested the memory anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is to try running Memtest 86+ from a CD (or you can try any Linux type distro) just to see if it loads into virtual, but I think it won't . IF you have integrated video on the mainboard, try removing the vid card to see if the integrated video works, but I think that will be a dead end also. But worth a try.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, friends. I'll try them and post back.

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

When a computer won't get POST that means that the signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS. In that case, usually there is no keyboard recognition beep from the system beeper including no error beep codes, you have a laser mouse and it does not light, and and no video, you have a low-level hardware failure. This can be caused by only 4 things: bad CPU, failed Mainboard, failed Power supply, or a damaged/corrupted BIOS.

Try resetting the BIOS back to factory default; if no joy, you have a low-level hardware failure. Percentage-wise, the majority of times (in my experience) the mainboard has failed. CPUs rarely fail unless extreme overclocking or sudden electrical surge may fry them. Power supplies can be tested either by a dedicated tester or a good meter-tester. Memory failure will usually not cause this type of problem and you have tested the memory anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is to try running Memtest 86+ from a CD (or you can try any Linux type distro) just to see if it loads into virtual, but I think it won't . IF you have integrated video on the mainboard, try removing the vid card to see if the integrated video works, but I think that will be a dead end also. But worth a try.

I was surprised when I came across this thread because it's exactly what happened to my laptop a couple weeks ago.  Previous to that, I was sooooo frustrated with my computer because of all the problems it was giving me and it had frozen up tight and wouldn't even shut down, so I just slammed the lid closed real hard.  I didn't even care anymore if I broke it or not.  Well, a few days later, I turn the computer on and there is NOTHING!  The screen doesn't light up at all, so there was nothing I could do.  I ended up removing the HDD, RAM and then trashed the rest of it.  However, I also removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard thinking I could use it somewhere else.  I then tested it and it barely moved the needle on my battery tester.  So, could the CMOS battery have been the reason for my laptop's failure--and also the OP's computer as well?

#6 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Ok trying to rule out all other possibilities before I replace the MOBO. Is the CMOS battery theory above a viable one? Also, I see two things that I'm not sure about. There is a part on the MOBO that looks like probably a wireless NIC, but there's a hole in one corner where it looks like there should be a screw maybe??? Then there is a wire that has one end hanging free and then it runs back into the case and just disappears to where I can't find the other end. Pics attached of both mystery parts. Anyone??

Attached Files

#7 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

Sorry.. Forgot the other one..

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

See the little round white thing with a dot in the middle (next to the screw on the wireless card)?

That's where the wire connects.

Don't worry about the other screw hole.  There doesn't seem to be a place that a screw can fasten into there.
The one screw should be adequate to hold the wireless card in place.

Replace the CMOS battery.  They're cheap, and if you don't need it you can then use it in many other devices (if it's the CR2032 type).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, usasma! I actually had a CMOS battery laying around! I replaced it but it didn't resolve the issue. I guess I'd better start trying to figure out what kind of MOBO this thing will need.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

I'd strongly suggest that you try these 2 things before deciding on replacing the motherbord:

- hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

- diagnosis by hardware stripdown:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

This'll help rule out other hardware so that you don't unnecessarily replace things that are still good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users